dry ground

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

dry ground

Postby cfanno01 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:41 pm

I've been thinking about trying to chase yotes in the summer in Michigan, but havent heard of many guys doing it. Most hunt in the snow, myself included. Never dry ground hunted other than a few coon. What have you guys had success with?? I was thinking of just walking backroads where I usually find see tracks in the snow and hope for the best. It"ll be a whole new ball game not knowing if the dogs are tracking the right direction or not. A learning experience for sure.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: dry ground

Postby Dan Edwards » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:39 pm

I run or should say use to run at night in the summer months starting in June. I will be doing it again next summer. I just have not really had hounds on my yard for a couple years. My dad and my buddy have been keepin them. They run at night as well.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:49 pm

when I was in Minnesota we hunted dry ground coyotes it was fun. started in the late evening and hunted into the night. Caught a lot of them.
Hunt hard cull hard !
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:23 am

Thanks for the tips. Went out Sunday and got one going on dry ground ground. started just walking by a creek in the early morning and the dogs jumped one. dogs stayed with it better than i was expecting because I've only really hunted in the snow up until now. Ill definitely be doing more of it when the season opens back up.
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Twopipe » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:14 am

Locate the coyotes by getting them to howl. Then you can free cast your hounds in that area. Eventually your hounds will catch on that it is coyotes howling and they'll go to them when they howl.
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”