lets see those fox and or fox dogs

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
Jkohnke
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: lets see those fox and or fox dogs

Postby Jkohnke » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 am

We have the red and they grey here in ms. Seems to be 2 strains of the grey here. One is a smaller fox like in the pics above wich we call smut face greys and we have a little larger what we call the red sided grey. They seem to be a little more of a runner than the smuts. They may be the same fox but you can tell the difference when you see them. But I'll take the true red fox race over either of the greys any day. They will test a pack of dogs. I've seen them hit busy highways and run down the center line for 200 yards or more. It's like they know what they are doing.
Jkrunnindogs
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:37 am

This fox section is great. Have you fox hunters found the bigger dog fox are apt to cover more ground than the smaller fox? Al
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:03 am

Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:56 am

I get lucky now and then with my sorry ol' registered Walkers. My best foxdog I spent the most time trying to break off them - she'd be a barn burner if it didn't take her half the race to open up for fear of being in trouble. Few years back I was pretty serious about nothing but catching bear, bear and more bear. But am glad I decided to lighten up and catch a few fox and coon along the way. After a while the dogwork becomes the most important thing, and the expectation to catch whatever you turn them out on. I quit worrying about what others think is trash or wether or not I have "real" beardogs, foxdogs or coondogs.

Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Some more photos. most of these pictures are probably 4-8 years old now, got them out an old photo album

a few dogs at a hole

running a fox

after a successful hunt

a few old dogs

my favorite dog, Bones, he's old and retired now

couple of young dogs off Bones

Bones and Allen

half trigg i raised

same gyp as above
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
BrandonCombe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BrandonCombe » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:21 am

IMG_122639616143274.jpeg
gotta love the greys we have a decent number of foxaround here I catch more fox than anything theres not a whole lot of bobs and I very rarely ever get a coon in the tree
Attachments
472894_473961639344488_441973833_o.jpg
IMG_122607359711109.jpeg
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:10 am

Thanks Brandon, chase looks good. Al
southern fox
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100005518713786

Postby southern fox » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:56 pm

yea those red sided greys run further than the old smut faced greys, used 2 find the smut faced greys around here had no red on them at all , would run u all night in the thickest place he could get and wouldn't come out, dogs would have there eyes beat shut the next day, and wouldn't be making any extra steps, the red sided greys run a much bigger place than the smut faced greys do, red sided ones will take the dogs out of hearing one way and take them out of hearing the other, the smut faced ones you could build you a fire and plan to stay there all night and listen to him destroy dogs, have ran them so long the fox will walk across the road and all the dogs walk across the road behind him he could flat wear one out but after 12 hrs of running him he should
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Pack a whippet in with you! Done deal. Of course if it's the music your after, I think your doing it just right.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
Flip
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:37 am

It's not a site race a whippet wouldn't know which way they went.this is very tight brush and a dog can only run one as fast as his nose will let him.if a dog makes too many looses there not applying the steady pressure it takes to catch one.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:44 am

Is your whippets not getting it done?
I am.

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:34 pm

I was hoping you would come back and tell us about all of the whippets you've hunted with but it's taking to long. I have a whippet that will run rabbit TRACKS. I'm sure if he can fly on a rabbit track, he can deal with a short loss or two for how I use him. Greys don't always stick to the very tightest stuff and when they are forced to cross a clearing or run through a part of the woods that is not so thick, there is more than a chance a good whippet can catch them. First off, a whippet is MUCH faster than a grey fox. It wouldn't even be a fair contest on open ground. Secondly there are hinting lines of whippets that can and do use their noses and do it at a pace that will blow your socks off.

All of this being said, I'm not saying a whippet is nearly as good as a good trail hound on a long track but if you know how to slip a whippet into a race at the right time they are deadly. Same goes for the stags of certain lines. Same goes for certain mixes of lurchers and maybe more so for the right mix of them.
I am.

Jkohnke
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Jkohnke » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:09 am

I would have to see a whippet catch a fox in the country I hunt. Line of sight is about 5 feet in our woods. And when you say an open section of the woods that's where you can see 10 feet. But I'm sure if he had the ground to stretch out on he could. Sight hounds don't work where they can't see the game. I've hunted out of state and seen what some people call thick. I wish I had there " thick " to hunt in.
Jkrunnindogs
Flip
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Flip » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:25 pm

Dan I'm sure glad u like your whippet. Not saying he doesn't intertain your style of hunting but where I hunt there is no flat ground it's very steep in spots with solid manzanita brush mixed with sage and white thorn all together this is why a fox is fun to chase because he has an advantage in this playing field. These running dog crosses don't all work either. It's not a race based on athletic ability for the most part it's speed and consistence based on a dogs nose. On a dark night with no moon u may run a fox for 12 miles total all in the same canyon.theres straight off cliffs and fox are tricky so not saying u can't catch fox just saying that u and me both we didn't discover this sport they been doing it a long time and the dogs used for the sport is for a reason.I have to say its very impressive to watch a greyhound stretch out and run though
bigg D

Postby bigg D » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:41 am

20140104_105345.jpg
new year's fox

Return to “Fox Hunting”