Need some red fox help

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Need some red fox help

Postby Dan McDonough » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:20 am

All of the tips and tricks point to a female sighthound bred to a male herding dog for the more typical cross.

I like the idea of a Stag crossed to a Border Collie, McNab Cattle Dog or a Kelpi. Being in AK I would think it would be difficult to get a sighthound of any kind but you would know better than I would.

As far as all of the turning a fox does, keep a lurcher in the magical 24" to 26" range and you should be fine. It doesn't hurt to go over but any smaller and your asking for vet bills you don't need to have.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby AK Zach » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Yea it would be strictly for snowshoe and alaskan hares only. No sight hounds here, no scent hounds either for that matter ha! I've found its relitivly cheap to ship pups up as long as they weigh under 20lbs. Plus I have to drive 9 hours + to anchorage to pick them up from the airport. There are a lot of flats and wide open river bottoms here would be perfect for coursing though. It's in my near future plans to get one
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:23 pm

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Zach, if you are surrounded by coyotes, I would look for her den close to your home. She is probably using you for protection.

If it was me, I would be doing some coyote hunting to keep her babies safe. But obviously, I am not the one trying to keep your family fed. We wish you success at whatever you set out to do.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Also from a traditional trapping understanding: mature coyotes and mature red fox are not thought of as animals that will readily enter a cage trap. Pups have been caught in cage traps however. From a trappers standpoint, the reds are completely different from the greys. Coon or cat methods have caught a lot of grays. Red methods are traditionally more parallel to coyote methods.
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby AK Zach » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:46 am

David, great info, and even better words of wisdom.
I have tried the whole dogs closer to coop trick, but mine mostly free range at day and go in at night. I've had a few chicken casualties from my own dogs as well.

Here, I cannot legally run any game with hounds except for black bear and hares. Catch is however Alaska law states you may take an animal by any means necessary that endangers your property, livestock, poultry, property or life (short version). Thus letting loose the hounds (I would usually fry them for such a behavior) I wish I could hunt other game up here with them... Oh the possibilities. Those live traps just don't work on them. That being said I now understand where the saying "as smart as a fox" came from.

Coyotes have really only become a problem recently here, to the point that trappers were catching them about 2 hours north of me here a couple years ago and didn't know what it was! Imagine that!
http://www.wolfsongnews.org/news/Alaska ... s_1647.htm
They are starting to take over here though especially where I live
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:40 am

Snares are cheap. If they are legal for you many a smart canine was made dumb by snares. If you are sure you want her dead, buy thirty snares and cover every trail or opening into your place. Keep them away from the attraction. Get her when her focus is still in the distance.
But it sounds to me like you have legal grounds to run her and her offspring every night for the next thirty years or so. Figure out projected predator loss and plan for it the same as sheep and cattlemen have to do.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Oh yea, and if you get her, don't forget about those baby foxes under your wood shed. :shock: :!: :shock: :lol:
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:00 am

For coursing hares you need to keep the collie blood down to a quarter from what I've gathered. There are some first crosses that can catch a hare but your odds go way up when you breed one of those first crosses back to another sighthound.

It's not going to be easy to find one of those. I have the only plans I know of to make that cross but I'm still waiting for my first cross female to come into heat. When she does though, your welcome to one of the pups.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
Mr. Chow

Postby Mr. Chow » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Ha, Ha, Ha. Oh now Danny McD is a big fox running man. Wow, on top of everything else, now you are breeding fox hounds. So we have coyotes, fox, rabbits, coon, and now fox. I have always wondered why do don't run bear, especially since you live in the heart of bear country. That really is amazing. What are you running all of these fox with? Your leopards, your walkers, your leopard/walker crosses, your jagd terriers, your beagle, your lurchers, your stags, your greyhound/collie/puggle/shepherd crosses, or your ultimate bobcat hound? All this with a full-time job, Dan, how do you do it?

You really are a fascinating individual.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Mr. Chow, I am sorry about your father. But that is not our fault. Please find some other medium for stalking your dream lover. Also I and other taxpayers do not appreciate you using tax payers money to sit and make posts on BGH. Are you making copies of your posts to present to uour supervisor? If not maybe some one should. Well, maybe I should.

It's a long ways to work from your home there in Texas. How long of a drive is that?

Again, I am very sorry about the way life turned out for you. If you are interested in getting help, send me a PM. I am serious. It is hard for me to see anyone so tormented. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. It would be hard for me to say I love you, but I know someone who does. I empathize with you though, because I have pain in my life too. I sincerely pray, Mr. Chow, that you can find healing.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:10 pm

AK Zach, I doubt Mr. Chow will offer an appology for interrupting a really fun thread. It goes back to the father issue. You could say it's not his fault, except at a certain age we become responsible for our actions no matter how we were raised. I offer an apology for the both of us. It has been an awesome thread and I hope if any one else has anything to add to your red fox thread, they will not hesitate to do so.
Mr. Chow

Postby Mr. Chow » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:49 pm

David, I apologize if I have offended your delicate sensibilities, I'm sure in a different we could have been friends. However, in this world I don't associate with people that are the products of an incestual up-bringing. I also want to apologize for wasting your tax money, but as I see it, if you own the business do whatever you want.

If I am so wrong about Dan, why doesn't someone produce evidence of Little Danny Boy actually hunting.

And cue the crickets. :beer
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Chow, me thinks your time is about up on this forum. Start your own thread to bitch and moan about people next time. Looking through your posts, oh nevermind. Tick tock tick tock.... The choice is yours, contribute something useful or I can see your membership going byebye.

Just $.02 from an inbred redneck.

Now, back to learning about foxes.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:14 pm

I also want to apologize for wasting your tax money, but as I see it, if you own the business do whatever you want.

BahahahahahHahaha...... You probably have a couple brothels and are running them by hand till you can afford the women! :lol:

Return to “Fox Hunting”