Cold nosed plotts?

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Cold nosed plotts?

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:03 pm

Just thought I would throw this question out for the group.

Have any of you owned or hunted with an extra cold nosed plott hound over the years that was extra good on tuff or dry ground lion tracks?

If so do you recall the bloodline, and details?

I understand that some hunters may not be in an area where you get to observe a lot of bare ground or dry ground lion trailing so it might also be worth stating if you have seen some that could take those old froze down hard snow and ice tracks and even work them up across those barren south slopes.

Just thought it would be interesting conversation topic. I know Plotts are normally known well for their grit, tree power, and general over all toughness, and bear and hog rank at the top of their charts. but I also no many of them are used for cougar and bobcat, so lets see what is out there.

OBTW I am not looking for anybody to argue or pick the breed apart here just honest observations. I have owned a lot of plott hounds from various bloodlines over the years and I will share some of my stories along the way.

Thanks
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
fallriverwalker1
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Cold nosed plotts?

Postby fallriverwalker1 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:19 pm

mike back about 1975 one of the guys I hunted with bought a plot from a fellla by the name of roy sing out of arkansa / he ran bear fox and some cats , he hran pretty close to all the dogs we had back then. but that was the only one I saw , I tried all the big names at the time he was the only one that came close jim
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:34 pm

I know its a long shot but being as your not to far from there I thought I'd mention it. Back in the early eighties there was a rancher along the Oklahoma new mex line that traveled around and hunted. I'm not sure all of what he hunted but am inclined to think about everything. But he brought his dogs into the country around the head of the cimarron river and spent a few weeks in there. My grandfather hunted with him and we had a get together up there. They did pretty good in those cedar breaks and bluffs. I think his name was George.
catcher
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby catcher » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:29 pm

Had a friend come out to hunt Nevada with me and he brought along a big brindle plott. It trailed cold. I believe he said it was Brandenburger sure I spelled that wrong. It came from eastern Utah.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:36 am

Berlin King,Roy Sing and Dale Brandenburger.Don't know if these lines are still in existence .
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:43 pm

Great replies! Thanks

Yes I knew Dale Brandenburger and got some dogs from him out of Pioneer Slim, Tom and Pioneer Thundering Echo. The Echo pups turned out the best on lion, and Roy sing also had some good dogs although I never meet him. Berlin King had Tree Talking Casey and Cold Water Toby that were both hall of fame dogs. At one time I knew 3-4 western big game hunters that had dogs out of Pioneer Echo that were all top lion dogs. I believe they were Cecil Ralston of New Mexico, Wendell Hatch of Utah, Ray Stein and Van Johnson of Colorado. The Echo dogs seemed to really have the nose on them.
MIKE LEONARD
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:59 pm

Mike,

Excellent reply as always and tons of historical information. Thank you!

Don't know why but your post reminded me of a night long ago that found me in a bad blackwater swamp. It was tight choked with salt cedar and Russian olive bushes and I was part wading part swimming most of the time. I had a real nice male dog I called Bearpath Hawk a direct son of old Gunner. At that time I was moving around a lot with my work and this hound, and my black Labrador Mariah, my saddle and a beat up F-150 was about it. That hound lived right in the house with me and he would fetch ducks for me just as good as the lab and took commands almost as well.

Back to this swamp: It was alive with coon, and just like you back in them days I was hunting for hides and I was serious about it. This Hawk dog was an ace, and no water brush was too much for him, and he would tree one after another swimming around them bushes barking and me black with mud wading and dog paddling in there to pop them out with my Ruger Bearcat, which would require a complete strip down the next day to keep it from turning to rust. That dog was a sticker and caught quite a few lion for me but was crazy for bear.

I refused some pretty good money for him back in those days from a guy that wanted him, and shortly there after he was stolen and never found. I went and bought a full sister to him and although she was decent she was never the dog he was. If you remember the Cascade Boulder dog that Oliver Smith use to have well Hawk was a dead ringer to him. In fact Bobbie Archuleta who owned Cascade Easy Money saw Hawk one das and just kept saying over and over. That's Boulder! That's Boulder!
MIKE LEONARD
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:02 am

I know a couple guys who got pups from Brandenburger that made good bobcat dogs.
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:33 am

Plotts
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Plotts » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:04 am

For a span of over 30 years on lion studies in southern Idaho the dog of choice was Bluff Creek bred Plotts.
This would include both winter and summer captures.
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:23 am

Plotts
Bluff Creek were some nice hounds. Bob Headings from Salem Oregon hunted those line along with the hounds of Mohr.

Mike

I posted some pictures to illustrate my plotts and to give you an idea what they were like...They just treed game, day or night...I even had access to a boat when I hunted the coast tributaries so I could row to my dogs...

Coon Hide Room

Ruff and coons

Boat to access treed plotts.

Devil-- Hill x Ledford

Shorty and lion

Shorty and a tom lion

Sponge Bob. Eugene Walker bred plott

Shorty and fall bear

Devil and Shorty with one night catch

Shorty and bayed bear

Devil and bayed bear

Devil and Shorty on bayed lion
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:53 am

I currently have a grade Plott that has a pretty good nose, but doesn't have the stamina like my walkers on tough bear races. Before Kenny Jones died I bought a Plott from him she had a good nose, was tough but had bad feet. She was killed by wolves at age 2.

Friend of mine I used to hunt with bought 2 Bear Path Plotts from Woodby's grandson. The one was dumber than a box of rocks and was culled the other one made a real nice cold nosed cat dog.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Mike m is the washington guy that wrote in full cry Del Hannah ?
Hunt hard cull hard !
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:46 pm

I hunt plotts . grade and registered. My grade plotts are mostly kamphouse bred. They are of the caliber of the dogs mike m posted pics and stories on. They are hard tough and rough . these dogs tree lion and bobcat dry ground . not all of them but most . bear dogs oh man 32 hour is the longest on baying walking bear. Stamina that blown the mind. Noses that are amazing. I run these dogs with any one any breed anywhere and They are as good or better than anything out there. I have out crossed these kamphouse dogs on old star mtn blood ,bearpath, cascade, and swampland and blackwater . they made nic e dogs nothing changed a whole lot except crossing the blackwater added super tree style but lost some nose. Recently i have purchased some registered pups because my dogs are getting to inbred . i purchased one from doug hicks bill hicks brother and i really like him so far he is line bred on bills old stock . i also purchased a pup that is in transit now from roy stiles out of his old stock which is von plott stuff. I have 2 more pups coming this spring . one from rodney burris that will be mostly cascade . and one more pup coming from steve herd bluff creek . this will get me out of inbred stuff. I did a lot of research on these guys and found that they have what i want and its like what i have . i hope this pans out the way i want it to.
Hunt hard cull hard !

Return to “Lion Hunting”