webster's new world dictionary

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

webster's new world dictionary

Postby dwalton » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:42 am

ignorance- lack of knowledge. I have always tried to gain knowledge about hound hunting from the most knowledgeable people I could find and have always felt that everyone has something to offer.
dogmatic- positive or arrogant in stating opinion. I have been guilty of this, if I feel strongly about something that will help people understand what is possible I can be dogmatic.
lie- to make a statement that one knows to be a lie. The people that truly know me know that that a lie or untrue is impossible for me to do.
jealous- resentfully , envious. I support everyone in what they have accomplish. If they have a better dog then what I have that I think will work for me I will breed to it or get a pup. I aways look to better what I have.
social etiquette- Never have been good at this. I try to tell it the way it is sometimes stepping on some toes. I feel we as a country would be better off going back 140 or 150 years where if someone that insinuated you lied you would just meet them at noon in the road to work it out. At least back then they were trying to keep the population under control.
It is hard for me to understand how someone can be judgmental of another persons dogs or beliefs when they have not hunted with them. Well each to their own Dewey
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: webster's new world dictionary

Postby al baldwin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:48 am

Dewey not agreeing with what someone post is not accusing someone of being a lairer. An example would be disagreeing with your belief that dogs have to be trained to run coyotes, all hunters I have associated with over the years, have never to my knowledge shared that belief. Most seem to feel it is one of the toughest things to eliminate FOR GOOD
in dogs. I believe you and I have been guilty of showing disrespect for each others opinions, that is not why I questioned your beliefs. I thought this was a forum where a civil debate could take place. Dewey you are a good person, wrong of me to mention that a majority of seasoned hunters do not belief everything you post. Should have said most I have talk to do not believe as you do in some of your post. Dewey when I started out in hounds I believed most everything i was told, over time I realized if some could read every dogs bark and know what species of game they were after, I was not one of them. After realizing that TRAINING HOUNDS BECAME MUCH EASIER FOR ME. That is what I am trying to relate to young hunters, give them another opinion, based on my experience. Al
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:48 am

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:09 pm

Good hearing from you guys. Where you guys been? URE you haven't posted in nine months. Glad you guys found something you felt passionate enough about to contribute.

Fascinating.

Makes a guy go "hmmm".

[later edit: thought I was going crazy. I responded to a post from U.R.E. and it is gone now. I am glad I am not the only one who responded to him, or I would be wondering if I was hallucinating. Never seen that happen on here before. Didn't know it even could happen. Makes a guy go "hmmm"]
Last edited by david on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Al I realize that most hound men think hounds run coyotes naturally, I don't. What I think from my experience is that they learn from the other dogs the pups run with.The first two packs of dogs I hunted were very hard to break from coyotes. Once I did get dogs to check a coyote race I have run very few with young dogs usually in the running season when coyotes come into hounds on tree or trailing. Just the way I see it. I have hunted hard most of my life spending a lot of time hunting 6 or 7 days a week and see thinks different as to how to train and the ability of dogs to catch bobcats. Catching bobcats is not hard with the right dogs but yet almost impossible without them in large numbers. We all have our opinion and it is human nature to want agreement with others for myself as well as you. There are people out there that tree far more bobcats with better dogs than I have. The thinking of a type of dog that works well on bobcat is changing is this area. Mark and Mike have giving post as to the difference in what they used to hunt and what is happening now with their dogs and catching bobcats. People don't like change a way of thinking or doing. I have a tendency to piss people off by my lack of tack or by my out word way of writing. I have very limited skills at trying to get a point across and am OK with a difference opinion. My point usually is to get people to see or consider a different view as to what is the norm. I try to accept people for who they are and see their point of view. I expect the same, as you said one can have a debate without accusations.
Cobalt you are totally right. I have stayed in the kitchen even when people want to fry me. Sometimes it gets hot and I get burnt and on occasions I will burn someone else. I am only human.
U.R.E Humble and ego comes up a lot. Thanks for defining them for me even though I have look them up several times myself. When it comes up I can't decide if it is about myself or have I touched on someone else's ego. You being educated in counseling sometime we could get together and you can help me with it. I could also use some help on understanding how to react when I feel attacked. I know that no one has the power to anger me it is just that my expectations as to the way it should be get in the way. Don I hope all is well with you and yours and you are having a good season bobcat hunting. Dewey
fallriverwalker1
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby fallriverwalker1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Waaa Waaa Waaa websters definition CRY BABY
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:59 pm

Here is where I'm confussed. So hounds are suppose to know not to run yote or any other kind of trash when they are young and just learning the trailing ropes? How do they know what they are suppose to run unless us as handlers steer them in the right direction? Not to start an arguement but that is just not true. I promise if a hunter takes two young hounds just learning to trail and walks them over yote tracks or moose or what ever it be they will take that track 9 out of 10 times maybe even 10 times UNTIL CORRECTED! I am a firm believer if a pup is hunted with straight dogs your odds go way up on keeping them dialed in on the game of ones choice but will still need to be corrected a time or two. I have seen some pretty straight dogs but none I'd bet my life on. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:04 pm

We form our opinions from what we experience and the way we see it.
I was roading 3 one year olds, that had never smelled a coyote, with a broke check dog, I saw a coyote cross the road a couple hundred yards ahead of them, when the pups got there the race was on and the check dog loaded herself in the truck. I let them run it and did not discipline them. So dogs naturally run coyotes. Those 3 are now 3 years old and have never ran another one, so maybe dogs don't naturally run coyotes.
That's all I know about that.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:38 pm

Good point Andy. I always start my dogs with an older dog as most of us do. The older dog lets us know what going on and the tone lets the pup know what is right or wrong. That said I have started young's by themselves by snow hunting, walking them out a track until they give notice and correcting when they go wrong bring them back to the track. You have let them know whats right. That said I have seen a lot of hounds that will run everything that they smell if left up to themselves. The work done with a pup that hunts with you by the time he reaches the age to take a track on his own, you will have very little trouble with some dogs. Some dogs will run trash and have to be broke others will be easy to get started right depending on how the dog is bred and what one expects from a dog.
Example: I have a dog here that did not run anything trash or go with the other dogs. I was about ready to cull her. In the snow I cut two bobcat traveling about 20 yards apart when they crossed the road. I turned out the pack went out opening well while she stood by me listening as I was. Thinking this would be the end for her I walked up the road and showed her the other track that no dog was on. She smelled it,took it and opened up and treed from them on she has gone to make one of my best start dogs and top cold trailers. She will go to the other dogs as far as she can hear them now. I know that is a case to the extreme and most people would not want that but sure have a lot of people that has hunted with her that wants a pup out of her.
The point of all this is sometimes it is not like we think it should be or how it should be but there are a lot of different ways to get there with different breeding and hunting stiles. Mine works for me and catches me a lot of cats. I also know that it is not the norm, but is it better it is for each of us to decide. EACH TO THEIR OWN If you like how it is going for you great. Andy Take a young dog that has never ran anything and walk it across a coyote track. Them take it across a deer track I bet it will run the deer and not the coyote especially if the dog has been worked on obedience with a good come and has it's attention on you as you walk it also if it gets interested in the deer or coyote if tone it will come to you. Now take the same dog and put it with a dog that runs deer and coyote I will bet you it runs them with another dog is not that teaching them to run trash.Dewey
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:45 pm

I'm beginning to believe the dyslexic thing.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Cobalt it is true the males in my family have it to one degree or another. My son did year around schooling for the first four years of schooling. We finally got him in a summer program at the U of O and he started to get it. Read up on it there are varying degrees of it. I didn't have it as bad as he did but sure understood it better working with him. Since then I have met several people with it. Just like some people are born color blind. Good hunting. Dewey
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:32 pm

I would like to thank all of you guys for the free definition class. Now that i have figured out that my dogs are all dyslexic it makes sense why they never get treed.
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:49 pm

Don't worry, you're in good company. I have it too.
I think proof reading might help. That last post seemed unusually out of sorts.
I hope you learn to expound on your thoughts clearer so I can figure out the possibilities I am missing out on ( pictures might help ).
Since you have never experienced my dogs, let alone my training style, I have to believe when you lump many of us into the same ignorant box, and anything but a foxhound cross to catch high percentages of cats or whatever, it kinda makes me think you might not know everything. You may have hunted everywhere, but I don't think you've seen everything when it almost always is your dogs in your dog box.
I don't get in the woods very much anymore so I feel giving advise or argument is not righteous here in the dark closet of the internet. People who havent been in the woods with their own dogs in years tend to be skewed in their thinking. I wouldn't trust a mechanic who hasn't worked on an engine in 10 years. Armchair quarterbacks don't impress me. Thank goodness I'm not that far out yet. I do mess with my hounds about 150 days a year, but that isn't enough to satisfy me that I'm doing enough per dog or per reader.
I feel that there are many dogs of various breeds, from certain breeding programs that do as well as anything out there today or ever. It is training that is the fundamental difference in quality. You can't tell me that you've never culled dogs from your breeding. There is junk in all lines and trainers that seriously hamper dogs from reaching their highest potential. These variable are why these these topics are endlessly debatable. There are few 100% right answers. When someone says with conviction that their way is the epitome from A to Z, I tend to disagree. The dogs are a product of the humans behind them.
I don't aim to offend, just maybe want to hear things presented differently esp in the training arena because I'm sure you'll never concede to the concept of building single great dogs from one line. Training and reading dogs comes with experience coupled with an inborn ability to direct a dog down a desired path, the latter outweighing the former. That, my friend is where the simplicity lies IMO.
Luck good!
scottb
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby scottb » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:53 pm

"Luck good!" Now that's funny!!!!!

Thought I'd share this, not that it means anything. I actually have a dog from Dewey and a dog that is extremely close to Cobalt's breeding. That's right...a bluetick and a running dog cross living and hunting together. They are so incredibly different in terms of just about everything that it's fascinating. Physically, emotionally, hunting style, handling style, response to training, etc...totally different. The really strange thing is this, they both can catch cats.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:30 am

Cobalt I agree there are a lot of good dogs out there of all colors. I like what I see from a few breeders trying to breed a bobcat dog, most of them do use some running dogs. Have you ever seen a pack of fox hounds run a cat or fox? Cobalt if you will reread my post you might see it a little different then what you are thinking I am saying? Keep in mind that what I post is just my opinion from my experiences that works for me just trying to let people know there are different ways to look at it. Again my opinion, each to their own and if it works for you hunt it. It is interesting how people react to my opinion. Thanks for the phone calls letting me know that people read and like some of what I post and have learned something from it and replying to my post in a civil positive manner. Remember when one tosses stones make sure they are small because you may get them tossed back. Cobalt I am dyslexic and had one hell of a time learning to read or write. That is one of the main reason I post is for practice. The other is to share thoughts to make people think.Dewey

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”