Lion Hound Trainer Advice

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Lion Hound Trainer Advice

Postby Walkerdirt » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm

Has anyone ever used the services of an outfitter to train their dogs for an extended amount of time? What has your experience been with this? Do you have any recommendations on outfitters? What should I expect to pay for lets say one month of training?

In case you haven't seen my past post I have a 1 1/2 year old walker, a 6 month old walker and pointer am. bulldog mix. I was thinking about sending one or both walkers off for a month next season. I've been told a hundred times to buy a trainer but I'm pretty much tapped on the number of dogs I can keep.

My hope is to have both walkers tracking well and at least on their way to being trash broke before I send them off.

Thanks for the help in advance.
ALEX
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Lion Hound Trainer Advice

Postby ALEX » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:41 am

PM sent
walkerblacktan
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby walkerblacktan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:23 pm

Get rid of one of your younger dogs if thats what you have to do to be able to buy a pup trainer. One month of "training" isnt going to do as much for you and your young dogs as getting a good solid older dog of your own. The outfitter might put your pups on a lot of game, but if your young dog is being let go behind 5 or 6 other dogs, how much is it actually learning?
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:20 am

A pup will learn from other dogs. One on one or in a pack. But theres starts and stops in every dogs learning. Bird dogs have plenty of practice and fairly simple jobs. Stock dogs have a lot of practice but more complex jobs. Lion hounds have a difficult job and less chance to learn. Trash breaking young dogs before they are seeing game can back fire. I dont mind getting them use to the idea certain times they will be told no. But a solid break can only be done with exposure. Just like a good dog is made hunting.
For hound training honestly its hard to pack a full education in a couple months. And for those that try training a hound themselves with no other dogs it can be a very lengthy process. Just things to consider. The prices i ve heard are high enough on training, buying a broke hound is a real deal in the end. Good luck
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:49 am

Agreed with the deal of getting a good hound to get them going--
now my thoughts about sending one to an outfitter for hunting-- You better personally know that outfitter before you do it.
I know there are some totally honest ones But I also knew of some cases where the wool got pulled over the eyes and the hound that was started good had "accident" or just plain disappeared .
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:11 pm

driftwood blue

No truer words were ever spoken!!!!!!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:19 am

As usual I appreciate you guys giving advice. I've thought about cutting my pointer loose but he's the dog that got me going on this journey when I trained to blood trail it really got the gears turning. A friend of mine just picked up an old trainer so I might have to bank on his dogs until mine get going.

I've heard a lot about not trying to trash break a dog to soon. I'm guessing the idea is to get them on good game with praise and once they know that's their target to start breaking them off trash?
Last edited by Walkerdirt on Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:19 am

Why not just train them yourself?
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:24 am

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:38 am

I’m 78 and hadn’t found any shortcuts yet. Sounds like you are on the right track when you say there is no wasted time on your part. I don’t think you will find anybody that is going to have interest in your dogs as much as you do. Regardless of the pay. Keep on keeping on and good luck. Forget someone doing it for you, it want happen.
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:24 pm

My goal used to be tag out on bobcat when I started. Now It's the training seeing my dogs progress. Taking family hunting and Promoting houndsman. The whole drive is what's enjoyable not the destination.
walkerblacktan
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby walkerblacktan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:37 pm

A lot of the trash breaking will come naturally with a lot of dogs. I do not mean they will be totally trash broke, but a lot of dogs will stick with the track you put them on, especially if they are moving it good. At least thats my experience with it. I have only 1 dog that will not run trash, the other 3 will if i dont watch them, but all of them will stick with a bear or lion and not leave a good track for a jumped deer or elk.
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:24 am

Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 am

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Have a 4 year old bluetick and I can say I now know what that dogs doing 90% of the time. How are you going to get that sending a dog to a trainer?

Return to “Lion Hunting”