Looking for paradise

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
wvhounder

Looking for paradise

Postby wvhounder » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:08 am

Hello fellas I’m looking for a place out west to possibly relocate. I’m in the northern part of WV. The gas and oil is awful over here. They have torn up about every acre of land in this part of the country. You can’t go to place and hunt without hearing a drilling rig. I’m on here about every night reading stories of y’all out there running lions and bear in wide open country. I think you people are blessed to live in such a game rich environment. I’m a coon hunter and I live to run hounds no matter the game. I’ll turn my dogs loose anything. But I really like the stories of the hounds running lions. I think that is so awesome and I have no want to shoot a lion just want to run the hell out of em. So what I’m asking is for info on the states out west that you think are paradise in your eyes. I appreciate any info thanks a lot and good hunting!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickemall
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Looking for paradise

Postby kickemall » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Nevada are the only places I can think of off the top of my head you can run both lions and bears. Nevada is very limited on bears.
Last edited by kickemall on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:39 pm

I'm no expert but if my main goal was running lions and I wanted the option to hunt snow or dry ground I would move to Montana. I have only been there once Bozeman that is but it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. You can run lion, bobcat, and coon there and there is tons of public land, not to mention great elk and deer hunting if you like to hunt without dogs as well. There will be pro's and cons no matter where you go but that is where I would go.
wvhounder

Postby wvhounder » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:12 am

I appreciate the info, my wife and I have talked about taking a week and going out and just looking around. I’ve read a bit about Nevada and seems to be like a sleeper state for big game.

ALEX
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby ALEX » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:21 am

The western states are all experiencing political pressures that seek to restrict and or end many hound related hunting opportunities. If you were to make a big move out west, it'd be wise to be careful about where you go. In my mind's eye, the "safer" states from anti hunting political pressure would be Utah, Idaho, and maybe Arizona. The first two states are probably home to more hound men than most other western states. And for good reason, as far as hound friendly laws and regulations go. Montana and Wyoming would probably rank up there too, but you cant run bear there. No big shake though if you were to live in the far western part of Montana and go into Idaho for bear like most Montanans do that want to run bear.
wvhounder

Postby wvhounder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:43 am

On thanks fellas for the info I really appreciate it. And yes your right about the western states getting a lot of pressure from the anti- hunters. It’s crazy the way this country is turning out. Who’d ever thought you wouldn’t be able to run your dogs in the land of the free!!!

Pagosa
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Pagosa » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:47 am

We moved to western Montana 7 years ago, and I’m mostly a coon hunter from eastern Oklahoma, so this was a different experience. Maybe I’m over-cautious, but since 2017 (very hard winter) the wolves moved into the main area where I hunted and had my one dog chase bobcats. It’s gotten to the point that I’m not comfortable turning loose in these areas due to wolves. Secondly, the amount of houndsmen close to my area, makes finding a fresh track tough. I don’t like running into other hunters, and don’t want to crowd others.
So in saying that as compared to the areas I hunted in the Ozarks, I’m not that impressed with big game hunting up here. I elk/deer hunt about 4 hours away, and if we stay up here I’m going to start hunting eastern Montana, once I begin finding areas.
I have worked in WV twice and hunted my hounds out there and you guys have some great hunting. I’d recommend just traveling to some areas out west to lion hunt and see if it’s for you. I’m not a lion hunter, but really just enjoy using my one dog (Leopard hound) to tree squirrels, coons, chase fox/bobcat. The two young lions they treed were rather simple chases, with a lot of rough walking! I hope you find what you are looking for. I would personally like hunting between Caliente to Ely, NV or back down in the Boston Mountains in northern Arkansas. Safe travels.
NVIron

Postby NVIron » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:22 am

Wvhonder I live in Ely NV and it’s great I’ve treed lions less than 20 mins from my house. You get 2 over the counter lion tags a year. We have a massive amount of public land and you can drive pretty much anywhere you like. If you any questions let me know.

Pagosa
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Pagosa » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:02 am

NVlion - I’ve crossed some big lion tracks down by Silver King when I worked on the NV Online. Ely is a great hunting town. I lived up a summit in the campground (tent) at Hwy 6 while working over there from 2011-2013. I miss Nevada sometimes. Good luck, Preston
wvhounder

Postby wvhounder » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:34 am

Pagosa what area of WV did you work in? I assume that was pipeline and not online? Fellas I greatly appreciate the info. I’m taking all the info in. My wife and kids are gonna make a trip sometime just not real sure when. I’ve been writing all these things down to research.

Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:48 am

You know if you could do without the bears Northern Nevada would be a great place ..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Pagosa
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Pagosa » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Yes, it was two pipelines. One in 2015 by Ft. Gay and 2018 by Ridley. I seen quite a few bobcats out there and they treed a lot of coons. The coons seemed to go to rocky dens a lot.
NVIron

Postby NVIron » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 pm

We are just a quick trip to Utah from Ely. The two guys that got me into hounds are old California bear hunters so we have been looking into the bear pursuit seasons in Utah. We are headed to the Utah houndsmans assoc dinner at the end of the month to talk to some bear guys over there. The only thing I wish we had out here was raccoons to run every night but that might be grounds for a divorce haha

wvhounder

Postby wvhounder » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:54 am

Yeh the coon hunting is really good where I’m at. We catch a lot but I’ve always been interested in the big game and treeing a lion would be great. I’ve read some on Ely it seems to be a big fluctuations in temps. Day to night?

wvhounder

Postby wvhounder » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:40 am

Not going anywhere for a while!!

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€