Cab High Dog Box

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
Liv2Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Cab High Dog Box

Postby Liv2Hunt » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:29 am

Anybody using a dog box that is cab high and sits on the bed rails? I am considering and have seen one at a distance on another truck. It does not go to the bottom of the bed so the skis on the snowmobile would slide under the bottom of the box. The one I have seen had a light off each side looked about 18" front to back, width of the cab and sat just below the top of the bed rails. Thought this would eliminate the need for a trailer but how well does it work? Any suggestions or problems with this particular idea? Or a better idea for haulng a snowmobile and 2-3 dogs with out a trailer?

Lets hear your thoughts, ideas and pictures if you could please.

Thanks
lion hunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby lion hunter » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:41 am

A friend of mine has a full size dodge, that he built a box on the rail's so the sled ski's can go under the box. Work's very well, just put doors on the side's and in the bed, makes it easier to collar dogs in the bed of the truck, also put head holes on the side's or a hood rug on the front and you can still rig.
Hummer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Hummer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 am

Here is what I use and it works good for me. It sounds kinda like what your talking about? I like that fact that I still have bed space and don't need to take out the box everytime I want to haul something.

Here is a shot of the same box in my old dakota where you can see a little better how much space is between the bottom and the truck bed...

hope this helps ya out a little.....
blackpaws
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby blackpaws » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Here is what i have. i only put 2 dogs behind the cab because it's a little smaller truck. with smaller dogs you could put 3 across the back like the other 2. works good for hauling stuff in the winter. if i need the sled i pull the other box out otherwise when i run coyotes i leave the big box in to haul more dogs.

Liv2Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Liv2Hunt » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:14 am

Hummer that is exactly what I am thinking about. Do you have side doors also? I was thinking it would be a pain in the butt to load the dogs that way. But if you are not dumping the snowmobile or four wheeler it would be tough going out the back. What is the measurment front to back that you used there? How is it secured? I was thinking each bottom side with a cable attached to the tie downs in the bed and also a piece of steel tubing into the stake pockets. I was also thinking of a light off the top on each side to light the sides of the road while looking for cat tracks at night. It looks like you have a light just above the doors? Do you have it wired into your regular bed light so you can turn it on and off from the cab?

Thanks for the help.
Hummer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Hummer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 am

Liv, I do not have side doors on mine, I just put rig holes on each side but there is no reason you couldn't put doors on the side...

Here is a pic with the dimensions, mine is 29-1/2" deep but you could make it as deep as you want and you can alter the dimensions to fit in your truck. I needed to narrow it up 3/4" to fit from my dakota to my tacoma :?

All I use is a "L" bracket to hold it in place, a bolt through the bed rail and one into the box and it stays in place just fine for me. I also have a light bar that I pop on that shines the side of the road when looking for tracks in the dark. The light in the center is an interior boat light and doesn't really light up the truck bed like I thought it would. An old truck cab light I think would do a better job for that. I just was looking for something to light the truck bed up when loading dogs in the dark without the blinding light that I use to shine for tracks.
I have all lights wired to switches in the cab. I just wired a 4 post (female)trailer plug right into the front corner of the truck bed and the male end is on the box so when I put the box on the truck just plug er in and I am hooked up to all the lights.

A buddy of mine made me an aluminum frame and I just screwed the plywood to it. I also "borrowed" a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" plastic from work and lined each hole with it. I figured it would be better and last longer than just plywood when you throw wet dogs in. I also used some pieces of an old rubber truck bed mat to lay in each hole. It makes it a ton easier to clean up if you have some box shitters like I do. :wink:
Here you can see the alum. frame, the plastic and rubber mat..

Each hole is vented and the vents I ordered from Nite-Lite and they work real good.

Hope that helps ya out a little more. :)
Liv2Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Liv2Hunt » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:26 pm

Hummer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Hummer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:57 am

Liv, sometimes you need to hit the "refresh" button if the pictures aren't showing up, at least that works on my end.

Each hole is divided pretty much equally so all 3 are pretty much the same. I built the doors myself, just used a wood and "wrapped" them and the opening with 3/4" aluminum channel. I used a stainless piano hinge so I don't have to worry about the hinges rusting up after a while. So far they are working great.

As far as lights that I use for checking for tracks, I use those little blue lens fog lights, they give off a bright white light and work pretty decent. They are small about the size of an egg and give off a lot of light. I picked up a pair at Walmart and I think they were around 15 bucks for the pair. I have them set up so they shine the road right next to the drivers side of the truck, works slick.

Post some pics of your box when you get it done. :)
Liv2Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Liv2Hunt » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:58 am

nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nmplott » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:30 am

www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
robbyson99
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby robbyson99 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:04 pm

I'm thinking about doing that with my truck. I just don't know how to secure it to my bed rails. And what size to make each section. I want to put 3 doors on it and was thinking about doing 30 by 30
Bearkiller
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Bearkiller » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:29 pm

I built one like that this summer. I've only used it once. I can tell you that even 2 inches above the top of the cab catches wind. Not alot but noticeable. I like the idea of lights and will add some to both my winter boxes. My door does open in the back but on the very edge. It works fine. The dogs walk next to the 4 wheeler/snowmobile. I can fit 4 dogs in it. Not on a hot long summer trip though. Mine was pretty easy to build and a simple design. Its all 2 by 12's, because they were free.

One of my 2 by's split but didn't effect the strength.
Liv2Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Liv2Hunt » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:38 am

I had priced out the plain alum. for the new box and it was $566 just for three sheets of alum. That did not include the tubing for the framing and doors. Way too much for me. I instead built the frame of 2x2. I just bought the tubing and sheet for the 4 doors. 2 doors into the bed that have bars for summer and a sheet to cover during the winter. Doors on the side will have head wholes and also have covers. Alum for the doors and door framing was still $170. I also have purchased some KC Hiltes for the box top.

The box sits on both bed rails and also the front of the bed. It is cab high and sits 6 inches below the bed rails. 22inches front to back and each side is 33 1/2 with the divider installed. I plan to secure the box using turn buckles and the tie downs spots in the lower front bed corners of my Chevy. I am going to cover the box with 3/8 plywood and alum angle on all the edges to help with any possible peeling problems later. I just now have to wait for my father-in-law to weld the doors and door framing so I can fininsh everything else. I will post pics as soon as I have it all completed. I just wish I could weld them myself instead of waiting for him. I am excited to get it done. But I can't complain to much when he is doing it for free!!! One of the perks to being married I suppose.

Take care
robbyson99
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby robbyson99 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:37 am

sounds like its going to be one hell of a box. thats kinda what i need to do i guess. i have a brand new aluminum box but it sits in my bed and i have no room for my sled so i have to trailer it with me everywhere i cat hunt. been in some nasty roads with that damn trailer behind me. def show some pictures when your done.
whoflungdung
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby whoflungdung » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:47 am

I will post a pic in a week or so of how we do it Motana stile. You can haul 6 dogs and a sled. We put bults down from the inside of the box through the bed rail. If you let the box hand down below the bed rail the sled wont fit as nice. I'm hoping to build a box out of aluminum this winter. Over the rail dog boxes are very commen in Montna and for good reason.

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”