Handheld radios....

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Handheld radios....

Postby Liz ODell » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:57 pm

NOT MARINE BAND!!! NOT CB!!! I'm talking about the kind usually advertised as '2 way radios' quite a few claim to have 30 mile or better range. Anyone use them? How far do they really get out? In mountains with lots of vegetation? I'm looking for an alternative to marine band that is not CB band.
Hummer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Hummer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Liz,
I am no radio expert by no means, but I believe the higher the wattage of VHF radio you use the better the range you will get out of it.

I have never seen a handheld that gets a 30 mile range though??
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Liz you might want to invest in a good Icom or Yaseau radio. They make handheld 2 meter radios that can in the right conditions easily transmit and receive 20 -50 miles. I had a cheapo Chinaman radio off of ebay and it was picking up and receiving to a repeater 60 miles away as the crow flies. They all usually have a max transmitt power of 5 watts. Most are also selectable to help save battery power they can transmit at .2, .5, 3 and 5 watts. Talk to the guys at Ham Radio Outlet. I don't know if they have one near you, but they are very helpful and if you were to call them they could help stear you in the right direction.
dgarrett
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dgarrett » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:20 pm

We use 5 watt Motorolas depending on where we are Id say they reach 5 miles talking from one handheld to the other in most places we run. If you are talking to someone with a truck radio (40-100watt) you can transmitt and recieve much futher. In steep canyons with lotsa trees id say the 5 mile is about the average range. dgarrett
Terry Ambrosius

I have

Postby Terry Ambrosius » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:37 pm

I have a set of low-band 2way radios for sale. The mobiles are Motorola and the hand helds are Vertex radios.
Mobiles are 60 watt radios and the handhelds are 5 watt's--all are low-band.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”