Swollen Knot Under Chin???

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
walleyemike
Facebook ID: 0

Swollen Knot Under Chin???

Postby walleyemike » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Had a question on one of my Walker hounds. He is 2 years old and just in the last 5 days developed a swollen "knot" under his forward jawbone. There is no discoloring outside or under his tongue. This mass is somewhat hard and moves around a little. I tried to lance it but it does not seem to want to drain. I assumed an infection early on and have been treating with some antibiotics with no difference. He has been in on several caught coyotes but I see no real fresh wounds in that area although there are some on the rest of his face but with none of this swelling. Any ideas. I have not seen this one before.
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Swollen Knot Under Chin???

Postby mondomuttruner » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30 pm

What type of bedding do you use? Could be something from the bedding went through the hide or if like my dogs, will sometimes eat straw and a piece could have punctured inside the mouth. I've seen where mox wouldn't touch it, may have to get a different antibiotic.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:53 pm

Also could be an infected gland, fox tail, ( grass seed ) that worked it/e way in. In my experience best to allow those to lance them self. Have known of those to work their way inside the dog and come out on the dogs side. Known dogs to die from those, even when vets have removed the mass. If it lances it self & comes back, I would consult a good vet. Just my experience & what I have learned from other houndsmen experience. Al
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:31 pm

It also could be an abscessed tooth. Antibiotics will bring it down
mjd

Postby mjd » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:07 am

This was surgery from chronic mass due to thorn,stick,seed or who knows what , when i first felt it it was smaller then a marble , within a week it was bigger then golf ball, vet tried to drain it or at least get fluid to have it tested and couldnt so they did sugery , it was from her right side chin to the left side and way up in he jaw and into her neck and lymph nodes so they took them out to other then the scar and her left side of face sags and slobbers some shes fine
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by mjd on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjd

Postby mjd » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:15 am

Couple days after surgery back to vet for the slobbers she had a bacteria from the lymph nodes being taken out but they gave her meds and cleared it up
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Good to hear you got her fixed up..
leifalweapon
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth