medical kits

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
walkerhoundsjandrin
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

medical kits

Postby walkerhoundsjandrin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Just wondering what everyone has in their medical kits for their dogs running bear.

I know at some point its bound to happen that your dog gets some kind of injury, and its important to be prepared for it as some can be somewhat time sensitive.

I am thinking about things like bites from bear, or other claw marks. Maybe stick or other items from the woods getting poked or stuck into the dogs. and any other common injuries you see

I am looking for a good list of materials to put together a kit.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: medical kits

Postby pegleg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:57 am

Its a long list. Forceps stapler blood stop agent pain reliever disinfectants bandages shears anti inflamatories antibiotics saline solution/lactate ringers etc. Its not a bad idea to carry activated charcoal and peroxide. There's plenty of stuff you can carry. I tend to hunt where any vet is hours or longer away. Also its not unusual to have other needs for all this stuff.
walkerhoundsjandrin
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby walkerhoundsjandrin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:51 pm

thanks for the info most of that stuff was what I had in mind as well.

What specifically do you use for anti inflammatory, antibiotics, salines,and pain relievers.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:06 am

Well I'd have to look to be honest. I have one bag in Mexico and a couple here. I keep injectable antibiotics here but use either tablets or two part injectable while hunting. I also get pain reliever/ sedatives from the vet and it tends to vary a little as to what you can get. The best course is to go find a decent vet explain your situation and see if they won't help you out with a script or whatever is needed where your at. A broad spectrum antibiotic is usually sufficient to get you home. There's a powder they sell in Mexico that's pretty effective. Probably the hardest thing is shaving around wounds

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”