Postby davidg1! » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:55 pm

When do you start vaccinating your pups? :agmnt
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Vaccine at what age

Postby Jeff Eberle » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:43 pm

They is a study that was done by Dr. Ronald Schultz. About the over vaccination of dogs. Its a very good read look it up online.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:20 am

The problem is that things like parvo for example can't be vaccinated against very accurately at certain ages. For the vaccine to work the pup must be free of temporary immunity due to its mothers antibodies. But as the experts have found this to vary by age from pup to pup by a few weeks or more its almost impossible to guarante a pups immunity with out repeating vaccines. Short of alot of testing. Experience and erring on overly cautious are the only guide's. Even vets tend to vaccinate more often Then is absolutely required because of the differences in diseases and its more economic to bundle vaccines into single doses. And the diseases common in each area differ. As a side note I can't absolutely give a single incidence of over vaccination causing long-term effects or death. While I can say in some countries where vaccination is rare its seems a very low percentage of puppies reach maturity. No facts or figures on this just observations and apples to mangos comparisons so take it for what you think its worth. I probably over vaccinate my hounds especially in their first year.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

I start at 5 weeks with NeoPar. 7 weeks with a 5 way. 9 weeks with Neo Par and 12 weeks with the 5 way again. Then between 16 or 20 weeks again with a 5 way. I take no chances cuz parvo sucks and it ruins them even if it don't kill them.

I edited to say I don't always give the NeoPar again at 9 weeks. A lot of times its just the 5 way again at 9 weeks. It just depends on the situation really. All I know is you don't want parvo on your yard and over vaccinating is not even a thing. Ya it costs you a few dollars more but that's it. I only breed when I have to have pups so I try my hardest to keep them alive. And like I said parvo ruins them for life even if it don't kill them.

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”