Bear hunting or hound hunting for a living

Guide & Outfitter Classifieds
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Bear hunting or hound hunting for a living

Postby GVBEAR » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:38 pm

Hello all, looking to talk to some people that guide or run bears for a living. Or hound hunt for a living. It is a passion of mine and looking to see what avenues there are. Or possibly even do a apprentice ship with a guide for a season to see what it is all about. I have my own equipment and such. Just want to see what it all takes. Also I want to state my bucket list item is to tree a bear in every state I can so regardless if the full time hunting is not a option for me I would like to talk with people about running in different areas. That is why I think talking to the people who do it for a living or full-time might be my best course of action.

Thanks in advance and happy hunting
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Bear hunting or hound hunting for a living

Postby pegleg » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:37 pm

I am not going to tell you I know what I'm saying, so it's just a free opinion. I don't value other people's time or my own very wisely. So if there's something I need or want done I normally do it myself. A practice that has benefits and decided drawbacks.
So I tend to view hunting in the same light. If I was or am currently interested I did it myself. It typically saves alot of money on things you will do often and can cost more for things you may only do once or twice. Along with time the first time is normally the hardest and burns the most time, or accidental success.
So given that, I'm not the person you would be guiding. People that take guided hunts fall into a few groups. The working class that's always dreamed of a exotic to them hunt. They tend to be a once or twice client.
The guy who has just enough money and time to pursue hunts he's interested in and hunts often for himself but understands the challenges and is willing to stack the odds in his favor on away hunts using a guide.
There's a new group of beginning hunters or huntresses that feel most comfortable using a guide for the experience.
Gifted hunts provided by third parties.
And then the hunters that have the money time ratio it's just simpler and more exciting and successful to use guides and these may become repeat yearly clients or a one off who still refers others to the service.
And the group who for physical reasons require a guide. This isn't only disabled hunters but includes others examples being. elk hunts where the camp and game must be packed in or out of difficult terrain. And hunts requiring specialized gear.
Hound hunts can fall into any or all catogories . A person may understand that the use of dogs increases the success or enjoyment of a hunt. But be unable to have the required dogs for any number of reasons.
Once you understand and identify some of the reasons a guide might be chosen you can decide if it's still as appealing career choice. Most guides I know have to branch out some or alot. Not very many are single species guides though they do exist. Income that's the grey area so far as I'm concerned the yearly net income can and does vary quite alot for guides. The paths to becoming a guide vary some also.
The simplest start is often working for a larger service until you have gained the experience,contacts,funds,equipment, etc. To begin on your own.
There are other paths but all have their difficulties including the first example.
Then as you stated wanting to experience different areas you must understand they are considered different for specific reasons which may impact the logistics, style etc. Of the hunt.
Then you have to account for the off season with game cameras and less expensive option s year around scouting employment may be limited in some guide businesses. So if your not scouting or guiding another source of income is usually needed. And you must evaluate yourself honestly. How are your people skills? Do you communicate well? How successful are you hunting for yourself? Can you provide all the many little services that a client might expect or require? To be successful generally can be broken down to the fact you are doing whatever it maybe at a higher level then others attempting the same activity. This often requires above average capabilities in every aspect, as well as continued improvement.
And finally will you be satisfied providing all that regardless of the many daily trials everyday. And hunting for yourself less or no more then you do now?
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Bear hunting or hound hunting for a living

Postby pegleg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:18 am

Cory just scroll to the bottom of page and click then type away. I don't have a whole lot more information or thoughts to share on bear hunting. I've hunted them in different areas and with different methods. However honestly the last several years I haven't really hunted them very hard. The last bear I cought was in sonora Mexico and sure wasn't targeted or expected. I am a challenged hunter anymore I guess. So bear hunting with hounds in Arizona can be more then I want to deal with if hunting alone. Given it's either on foot or horse/back for most areas. And the speed/distance a bear race here can reach is just not ideal for me. So I hunt lion and chase bobcats, these with a bit of planning and use of a Garmin I can do with out too much issue. It's is possible to hunt bear spot and stalk here but like you with out hounds I loose interest pretty quick. I'm not saying that guiding isn't a viable career choice it obviously is it's just best to know as much about it as you can before making the decision. And there are ways to extend your working months. Often just by moving from one region to another.

Return to “Guide & Outfitter Classifieds”