Porcupine Problems!!!!!

Forum Rules and Policies
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Porcupine Problems!!!!!

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Sun May 04, 2014 2:30 pm

I have had two nights in the last month that my seven year old dead broke, lead dog female has ran a porcupine track the first one she did while I was roading just her and she caught it on the ground got lit up, and wouldn't stop. I was astonished cause she has never trashed on me in the four years I've owned her, then last night were out running coons and she is running the road striking, well she finds a track and takes off like a bat out of hell. Well after running this track for about a mile and all the switch backs I figure she must be on a Bob so I through my younger dog on it with her bad idea cause they both end up with a face full of quils. Any answers as to why this dog is trashing on just porcupines out of the blue and how do you break them from this? An old timer said they smell like bear and his lead bear dog would trash on them sometime, is this true? The thing I don't get is we have tons of porcupines so she has had to pass their tracks a thousand times why run them now?

Cameron
silentnight
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Porcupine Problems!!!!!

Postby silentnight » Sun May 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Good luck, I lived in Morgan for a few years and both broke cat dogs would trash on them every time. I quit running them on coon out there because of it. Running hard scrabble wasn't as bad but still happened. I have been told by many the smell like bear as well.
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Mon May 05, 2014 3:37 am

tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:07 am

no answer to why she is running them but when I was in Montana I ran into quite a few porcupines I killed one brought it back to the house hung it on the fence and any time I saw one of my dogs in the scent cone working it I fried them. I haven't had a porcupine issue since.
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Mon May 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Roughneck72

Postby Roughneck72 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:56 am

I have had a similar issue in the past with my male plott. He is broke but but I had a problem a couple years ago. He decided to trash on a porky. Face full of quills then he was good for a long time and then he decided that he wanted to start trashing on them again typical plott he got into 2 in a single week dumb azz! So I took the advice of a old timer caught a live porky put it in the roll cage hung it about 2 feet off the ground tied dog to tree a swung the cage towards him every time the cage would touch him or swing close I would burn him I don't remember exactly but three or four hits with the collar let the dog loose and have never had issue since and I live in porky hell.
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:32 pm

Rick Brocious
ol'guy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ol'guy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:07 pm

Had problems once so caught a porky put him in small cage run cable through collar and back to house (cloths line)when ever I thought run cage out push button well the only thing I know for sure is broke dog off cage wouldnt go near one after that died short time latter your guess as good as mine

Return to “Forum Code of Conduct and Policies”