Need opinion on what to do for new pup

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
WestonAZ
Facebook ID: 655510512

Need opinion on what to do for new pup

Postby WestonAZ » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:54 am

So a guy that I know (not well) has a black and tan and the dog was pregnant, he said it was sire'd by another B&T needless to say they're not registered. I'm looking into starting hound hunting and have always liked B&T's so I told him to hold one for me, well the puppies came and something I wasn't expecting happened, theres two white dogs in the litter. Obviously I am less than ecstatic about this because I was under the impression they were pure bred. I know his dog does well on cats, I'm not real sure about the sire. I have had a hard time finding a suitable pup down here in AZ I'm not set on a B&T but want a colder nosed dog so I've been looking at B&T's and blue ticks, I'm unsure weather to pick up one of the black dogs from him or to wait and find another breeder. Whats everyones opinions?

EDIT upon talking to him a little more he's not sure what hound got ahold of her so I'm not really sure what to think, it looks like some walker mixed in. my gut tells me to back out and try to find a different dog.

I uploaded a pic (not sure if it worked though).
Attachments
pups.jpg
pistol
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Need opinion on what to do for new pup

Postby pistol » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:15 am

I had a litter of black and tans last fall and I had the same issue. I took her to an all black and tan kennel to get bred. When she had her litter 1 came out the same color yours did. I did some research and this hsppens. There throwbacks from a dog way back in the day. B/t came from a couple different crosses of dogs. It sounded like its more out of dogs from the southern bloodlines and these dogs colors come up every now and then.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby 1bludawg » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:48 pm

If both parents were good dogs I'd say take a pup BUT since he's not sure who the sire is i would say don't do it.NEVER buy a pup unless BOTH parents can tree the game you want to hunt.
WestonAZ

Postby WestonAZ » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Weston, from my limited experience, my dark colored dogs overheat faster than my walkers. You might want to take that into consideration, this is AZ afterall. There are some great breeders in AZ. Since you are going to be laid up for a while per your other topic, my advice would be to sit back, heal and wait for someone from AZ, UT or NM to post with some pups from proven dry ground blood lines. If I could start over, that's what I would do. Good luck.
TomJr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100004374097746

Postby TomJr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:06 am

Well if your gut is telling you to back out that's likely what you should do... sounds like he does not know the sire. That's a red flag... maybe its not even hound ;) That's not always a bad thing but if its not what you want better to pass. My top lion catcher is Lab/walker... looks like a walker but hunts more like a cur, silent until jumped.

I see a few litters in the classified section that if I needed a pup I would go for. Don't get too hung up on pure breed but instead go for dogs out of good hunting stock.

Tom Beatty Jr
WestonAZ

Postby WestonAZ » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:56 am

Return to “Black and Tan Coonhounds”