Plotts in the Rockies?

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
AK Jeff

Plotts in the Rockies?

Postby AK Jeff » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:00 pm

How many of you guys have Plotts, or know of people who have Plotts in the Rocky Mountain states? I'm looking at getting a couple of dogs primarily for lion hunting and I really like what I'm reading about the Plott Hound. Honestly, a week ago I'd never even heard of a Plott. Where I grew up in Montana Walkers seem to be the go to breed, at least among the handful of people I've known that have hounds.

Here's my backstory and why I'm interested in Plotts. Like I said I grew up in Montana and have a ton of hunting experience, and plenty of bird dog experience, but not with running hounds. My in-laws have a ranch in central Montana that has some great lion and bobcat country basically out the backdoor. My father-in-law's brother has a couple of Walkers that he lion hunts with, but they're getting old and I kind of doubt he'll get any new dogs when these ones are gone. My thought is I should get a couple of Plotts (probably two females...I've just had better luck with female dogs in general not being crazy) that can be run with those Walkers to learn the ropes of lion hunting. I don't have my father-in-law completely convinced yet, but he'll come around. He's newly retired and needs another hobby.

If you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears. If you know of anybody that runs Plotts for lions, particularly in the Montana, Idaho, Wyoming area I'd love to hear about them. Also, let me know if you know anybody that breeds Plotts and would be willing to ship them to Billings, Montana. I'm in no big hurry at all, just trying to get everything figured out. Much appreciate any information or suggestions you're willing to share.

Here's a couple pictures of where the dogs would live and hunt. My in-law's ranch is basically paradise for hunting cats and just being a dog in general. It's forever big country to run. I also own a place along the Yellowstone River. There's a ton of coons down there and basically nobody that hunts them with hounds.

Thanks,

Jeff
Attachments
Shannon Farm.JPG
Ranch - small.JPG
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Plotts in the Rockies?

Postby nmplott » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 am

I have them in the southern rockies
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
jarlinh
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby jarlinh » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Hey AKJeff, I have Plotts in Montana. I live in Stevensville, south of Missoula. My dogs are Salmon River bred. Doc Smith started the line in, you guessed it, Salmon Idaho. I have friends that got me started in this line of Plotts that live in St Regis, Montana and Rose Lake, Idaho. The Salmon River dogs trace back primarily to Cascade, Weems and Star Mtn lines with a dash of Swampland.
I bought a Swampland dog with similar blood lines to bring a little fresh blood into the remaining Salmon River dogs which have been dwindling and recently started to be called Idaho Plotts. Kevin Hall in southern Idaho has a good stock of this line also. I intend to breed my Idaho plott Bullseye to my new female, the Swampland dog I got last year. Eventually I will breed a female from that cross to Kevin Hall's Borah male. If all goes according to plan.
If you find yourself on the Plottnews forum,
you can look up Idaho Plott Bullseye, and Bigsky Swampland Bitterroot, and Hall's Idaho Plott Borah. Feel free to pm me if you are interested in the eventual cross
hound girl
Facebook ID: 1666812292

Postby hound girl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:29 am

I'm going to be having star mountain plot pups anytime
rick30
Facebook ID: 0

Postby rick30 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:54 pm

When will they be ready?
cooncrazy101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100002313841970

Postby cooncrazy101 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm

I have two litters comin one is due the end of this month , other mid Feb.there first litter is Pocahontas, 2nd is Pocahontas x chilcote I'm in Wyoming
If it ain't a plott it ain't alot!
Mccourtsbeardog
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Mccourtsbeardog » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:23 am

Looking for salamon river bread pup any help prefer close to wv but will consider faraway if shipping can be set up

Return to “Plott Hounds”