trigg

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
Ranger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

trigg

Postby Ranger » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Any one have a good picture of a trigg? I have never seen one.
J HUNT
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: trigg

Postby J HUNT » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:30 pm

I will try and get a pic for you, just bought one this past Feb. He is a little younger than 3 mos old and all ready barking at a cage coon. I got it on video, but not sure how to put it on here, I have more stuff on that CD and I don't think I can crop out the the part of him.

Copper is 100% Trigg bred, he is all light tan, with some white on his fron legs and a white blaze on his face, other than that he looks like a typical hound for his age.
HOME OF DUAL GRCH HUNT'S RIDEGTOP RUBY
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:45 pm

I dont have any full triggs, but I do have a couple trigg X Running walkers. I raised these out of one of my male foxhounds and a guy let me borrow one of his trigg brood gyps. Ill try to post a pic later of the mother who was full trigg, if i can find it.
The gyp is black and tan, the male dog is Tri-Color. Both were between 10-15 months in all the pictures. Not the best pics but hope they help show you what one looks like. both have outstanding mouths and are turning out to be fox runnong machines, hopefully they continue

'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Perk ,your picture is a good indication of what a trigg looks like , I have a full blooded trigg , but i can't figure out to post pictures . Had my wife try to post some coon hunting pic's but now their in cyberspace somewhere . I will try to get one on here .
Rick Brocious
J HUNT
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby J HUNT » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Has anyone tried bear hunting them? That's what I got mine for. I'm hoping for a littlemore speed and stamina.

Thanks
HOME OF DUAL GRCH HUNT'S RIDEGTOP RUBY
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:04 pm

a guy in Va used to bear hunt strictly w/ triggs. He also foxhunted them. now he strictly hunts ina fox pen with them.They gyp i raised pups off of was supposedly one of the last he bear hunted, was supposedly a good tree dog. Have no clue, I never hunted her, and am not a bear hunter.

Perk
EGO is not your AMIGO
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:23 pm

MISTY 005.JPG
Attachments
MISTY 005.JPG
Rick Brocious
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:26 pm

hey guy's here's a picture of my one year old trigg female . she is full blooded trigg , don't know how i managed to get those on here.
Rick Brocious
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:38 pm

Rick Brocious
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:26 am

what are their good & bad points performance wise? i could give a rats @$$ about looks.
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 am

Pops , to be truthful with you i don't know much about them . The guy i got her off of said he used to have running walkers , and liked the triggs better .He's more of a competion hunter although he does hunt outside the pens . I ran his older dog on fox sounds like a freight train and was real fast would'nt quit . He has about 10 of them and culls pretty hard , he don't sell them , really tries to better the breed . but thats about the only experience i have with them .As far as looks is concerned it's like dateing an ugly girl benefits might be the same but it 's alot easier to take when their goodlooking :lol:
Rick Brocious
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:08 am

Grouse, thats a good looking hound you posted. I definately like her build as compared to most triggs I have seen, Alot tend to be stockier and have a heaveir head. Yours seems to be built a little racier and have a keener head. When I borrowed a brood gyp to breed the guy tried to sell me one that looked similar to that but her back leg was a little messed up and he let me borrow a gyp he raised pups out of. Any ways just wanted to say it was a fine looking dog, what do you plan to hunt her with?

Pops, as far as performance wise others could probably tell you better as I am a running walker man, but the 2 half triggs I have have good speed, good nose, and hold up good under hard running. I have always heard triggs have a little better nose than most running walkers, and a little less speed than the average running walker. Not like they get throw out the chase slow, but cant get the front end of it. Im sure like any breed they are good an bad. I have also heard they are tough to break off of deer, but I have also seen some that were deer proof too. they do tend to have good mouths though, if thats one of the qualities your looking for.

Perk
EGO is not your AMIGO
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks Perk , I plan to run her on coyotes and fox , they do seem to have a good mouth .
Rick Brocious
cat and bear
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cat and bear » Tue May 18, 2010 11:33 am

A great topic, with my limited amount of hunting with running dogs, I needed an outcross, and was impressed with the stamina of them. I spent a lot of time on the phone, in the last several months, with some good quality, honest men and answers, I feel. Here is what it boiled down to. July, is a catch dog, a lot of drifting, not much for nose, or grit, running dogs do a fine job, kind of the in between of july and trigg. some tree, most dont, or will by site, some grit, in general fit a lot of guys, depends on the game, some cold trial good, great stamina, etc. Then i got to the trigg. Can have good noses, trail more like a treeing dog, stamina, as perk mentioned not as fast as running walkers, but hold their own. More apt to rigg, tree, and cold trail like a tree walker, but speed and stamina of the other running breeds. Our challenge is to find a line, that fits big game hunters, as most running dogs today are bred to be hot noses to win the trials, heck a colder nose is culled. I just mixed an old line of trigg bear dogs, to my male, I'm excited to see the results and form a honest opinion. They will be hunted on bear, and bobs, in this thick country. Some hard hunters, says it works??LOL
Andy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Here's a really nice Trigg dog.
Attachments
Super+V+Thunder+(2).jpg

Return to “Running Dogs”