Hound guy turned cur

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Hound guy turned cur

Postby dwalton » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:15 pm

Bearsnva: All of my dogs come from bear stock, the curs and the running dogs. So whats the difference? I have said and believe that most bear dogs will not make bobcat dogs. So could it be the hunter selecting the traits that make better bobcat dogs or the training only letting them run bobcats? Each to their own. Dewey
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:18 pm

GCLeps
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby GCLeps » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:03 am

Wayne Hensley and Rex Bowers are both fine men I have known both for 18 yrs. I've hunted with Wayne a few times and Rex also. Rex is a mentor of mine and as David said a ton of knowledge there. Some of these fellows dogs are in my dogs and they work well on bear ,cat and coon. But no doubt there is some hound influence even in lines that have no jug blood.
Home of Glade Creek Leopards
ALBA Hall of Fame/UKC Nite Ch.Glade Creek Newt
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:17 am

Last edited by SASS on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:31 pm

I think for the curs it's more about training. I've had curs most my life. If you train them by cutting a track then walking them on it enough to get them knowing that's what to chase just about any cur breed would work. Like all breeds it's repetition and right spot at the right time. Curs have a colder nose than most give credit to, most squirrel and coon hunter's just think they wind everything. Squirrel dogs shouldn't have to cold trail. They're not trained to cold trail. I seen an older cur cold trail a coon for 3/4-1 mile after sun up.

I've tried my squirrel dogs on cats before. Cut a cat track walk em on it till they started running it... then treed! I was a happy hunter until i walked into the swamp and there sits a grey squirrel in a pine. Dog barking every breath... I don't think I would finish them out on squirrel and think they'll make a cat dog. Lol They're like anything else, good ones, bad ones and a few great ones. But if you put a mt. cur on cat after cat and only cats, I bet you would make a cat dog.

I've also heard that the Stephens Curs are cat happy to start with but never had one.

I now run West Siberian Laikas. I would compare them more to the curs. Not the nose of hounds. Natural tree dogs, gritty and smart. They'll hunt anything you let them. Littermate to my old female has rigged and treed a few cats in his day. He's only hunted by rigging most his life.
Old dog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Old dog » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:23 pm

you can find insight on kemmer stock for bobcat, lion and bear on face book. you wont find any rambling or bashing bull scat and very few posts but if you ask a question on that page you will have answers from some of the most informed kemmer guys around.
no mater if you think you can or you think you cant,, you are probably rite.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:27 am

Old dog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Old dog » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:16 pm

yea I know what you mean tanner. im not being sarcastic at all. my page is mostly all old timers discussing blood lines and the diferent traits in the kemmer dogs. too much swearing and bashing is not allowed at all. just a good place to research traits from people that have seen them first hand. good luckn your search for the cur you are looking for. he is out there somewhere that's for sure.
no mater if you think you can or you think you cant,, you are probably rite.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Yeah I was part of that bobcat, bear and lion dogs page on the face space. I meet some pretty good dudes on there, a few that were in David's book. But there was a quite a few people on there that were just into slander and other stuff that speak poorly of hounds men. But that page you speak of sounds like a good deal. I'll check it one of these days using my wife's profile. I like to learn that's for sure.
Thanks for your help mister.

Return to “Cur Dogs”