Think a cur could be this smart

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Think a cur could be this smart

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Wanted to see what you all think. I was thinking about using a cur for a den dog for beave muskrat's and mink which just means a dog that helps track them to their dens. But one of the main thing is a dog that runs quite so would you guys think a cur could learn to work these ones quite but still open up on other animals like coon and fox and coyote on drags. I was wondering because my dad swears the smartest dogs he ever saw were cur dogs
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Think a cur could be this smart

Postby pegleg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:52 am

Dog intelligence is variable just like in humans. And just like us a dog that enjoys doing something will apply whatever intelligence it poses more enthusiastically. My dads uncle ran several hundred head of cattle and had various other animals and saddle stock. They milked three or four cows regularly. But they didn't milk them contiuosly or the same one everyday. They didn't even take the calf off of them or pen them up. Nor were these dairy cattle just cows selected out of the herd. When his wife needed milk for something he would open the door and tell the dog to fetch bell or which ever came to mind. I always found this interesting because my dogs would bring you cows but it could be any number or any individual. Unless you could point it out then they get the right one.
One day he sent the dog out and the cows bag was inflamed a bit and the next one was already empty. Now milking a range cow is not easy and the first several times aren't likely to lead to usable milk anyway. They had one other cow that had been milked three years before that had a calf at the time. Once the cow was decided on the dog was sent to fetch her up. Now that dog was supposed to remember a cows name from three years previous? The dog didn't have a bit of trouble. Now I think if things work out and you get a decent dog and know how to communicate and motivate it they're capable of a lot more then most people believe.
I think breeding is a advantage it only makes sense to use. But most important is being a dog handler
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Think a cur could be this smart

Postby hillbilly boy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:59 am

That what I was thinking it was more training than anything else

Return to “Cur Dogs”