Question on catahoulas

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Question on catahoulas

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:43 am

Ok want to see what you guys that hunt with catahoulas would say a guy I trust pretty good said he believed they would be a good fit for the all around dog doing coon hunting at night and vermin hunting in the day his were hog dogs In the day and coon at night but he said he met a guy in Texas that had used them for coyote in the day the way the guy talked they would track and catch both was wondering if anyone has ever seen a pack of catahoulas that had the speed to catch coyotes seams like there is a few guys using them but would like to see what you guys have seen
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Question on catahoulas

Postby SASS » Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 pm

I have hunted with tons of Cats and have owned a few as well. They are not the fastest dogs so I don't know how they would do in a coyote race but you can bet that most would have no problem killing one. They are usually rough gritty dogs. I have heard of a few that will tree though the majority will not as they are not a tree dog, they are a stock dog. So just keep that in mind. Being a stock dog they are usually smart and can have a lot of handle put on them.

Here is the problem with Catahoulas, they have merle coats and colored eyes so every fur mommy has to have one, and a lot of breeders know they can charge triple and quadruple for a double colored eye merle so they breed for that instead of working and hunting ability and this has pretty much ruined the breed. If you want to tree game get a dog with a little tree power, I know they use big game bred Kemmer curs for coyote hunting and treeing game look into those, or maybe a bmc that comes from parents who squirrel hunt or tree game to improve your chances that yours will tree. Good luck.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:26 am

Ok thanks when my friend named know a guy that used Used them to track and catch coyotes that was the first time I have heard of them tracking coyotes instead of decoying them and it seems like a decoy dog would not work so good because we hunt in the winter
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri May 05, 2017 11:56 am

Not a good choice for coon or coyote hunting. For hog dogs though yes some of them are very nice bay dogs. As far as one of them being a kill dog I have personally never seen that in one. Very rough gritty bay dogs yes, kill dogs far from it. Very far from it. There is a difference.
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Fri May 05, 2017 12:34 pm

hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Would you guys think any of the curs would have a chance of being coyote bay I am interested in the curs since they are more common around here then running walkers and I just like the way they work and handle
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Fri May 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Sometime first hand experience is more valuable then someone else's opinion. Yes doing your homework is important, but from all your post it's pretty obvious you want a cur. And here come another ones option, if your going to be able to prove anyone wrong it's going to be with a cur. The only thing I would tell you from experience is to look around and find a cur hound cross of no more then 50% hound that come from a line of hound cur cross that someone has put time and affort into developing the line. This has two reason, the hound blood adds more bottom to the cur and a line on dogs that someone has put years of work into developing will be able to tell you what his line is capable of doing and then it's up to you to determine if you can take that and turn it into what your wanting. But you will never know til you try.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri May 05, 2017 11:39 pm

I have found a guy that breed's kamer stock curs and he has a few that has bayed them as they were hunting other things so we are going to see how a couple of pups off of the ones that have bayed the most of them and see how they do
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Mon May 08, 2017 4:06 pm

Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Mon May 08, 2017 4:09 pm

SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Tue May 09, 2017 11:51 am

Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue May 09, 2017 1:07 pm

47 in shape is a big bitch for a bulldog. Perfect catch dog size.
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Wed May 10, 2017 12:37 am

She was an awesome bitch, not real big but def on the bigger side. I wasn't hunting hogs then or she would have definitely been used as she was the smartest and fastest bulldog I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few. I like my catchdogs between about 50-70lb I have found that to be the best balance of strength and speed. But that is just how I like them. Happy hunting!
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 am

Sorry Hillbilly didnt mean to thread jack.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Wed May 10, 2017 11:45 am

Return to “Cur Dogs”