Anyone Alive in here?

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Anyone Alive in here?

Postby Renagade Curs » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:44 am

Not much activity on this part of the forum? Who’s tree hunting Curdogs on here? Who’s doing what with Curs on here?
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Anyone Alive in here?

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:56 pm

You and I have said this already but I have cat/ treeing Walker crosses that I use on hogs in Texas. I’ve been raising the same dogs for 25+ years. I’m no different than anyone else, I have a particular set of expectations and because of what those expectations are, straight cur types or straight hound types didn’t fit the bill. Obviously there are exceptions but I’m speaking in terms of consistency. At this stage they are heavier towards the cat side mathematically. Genetics though are a heck of thing. If I had to hunt a pure bred dog it would likely be a hound. For this reason I think my dogs are a reflection of my taste because while there is only 3/16 Walker or less depending on the cross, I still get a lot of hound characteristics, everything from color, to nose, to mouth, and that hound motor. They have the tighter cur body styles, are fast in foot speed and track driving. They will pick their head up and go with a track and they don’t have to straddle it. At the same time they will drop their head and grind it out if they need to. I would say they are excellent winding dogs. Most of them are very thorough. They don’t give up on something when they believe it’s there. At the same time they have enough cur about them that they will not stick with something that isn’t going to be productive. Their brain power is one of their best weapons. I have people that use them on cattle, hogs, coons, and squirrels. I know these trashy rascals here that the house are constantly standing up on the fence treeing squirrels. I don’t imagine all of them are tree dogs but I’d bet more of them do than don’t. They wouldn’t be for anyone that likes to listen to the race. They are silent until bayed. If a hog breaks bay they might give some mouth for fifty or a hundred yards but then they shut up until bayed again. Usually if they are giving mouth they can see it. They aren’t for everyone like I say because everyone likes something a little different. There a lot more things that require of them but I doubt y’all want to read what I’ve already had to say, lol. They for sure aren’t perfect but I enjoy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newhounder32
Facebook ID: 100082631323905

Postby Newhounder32 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:51 pm

Just got an 8 week old mountain cur. Hoping to hunt her on bobcat and lion. I’ve never owned or trained any type of tree dog or hound in the past so it should be interesting. So far she seems super intelligent and is using her nose quite a bit. Have only been around and done some training on bird dogs/ labs.
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:26 am

Well I've been hunting hounds for a long time and I've decided to try a mountain cur, picked up a pup about a week ago we'll see how she turns out. I'm not color blind all I expect is a dog to use it's god-given talents to work dry ground lions.
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:33 am

Let us know how she does!
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:12 pm

I've got a few full black mouth curs left and a couple hound/cur crosses Treeing Curs they're called now days I guess. I'm going to have a litter pups in a couple weeks be the first litter Ive raised in a couple years. Be out of my male crossbred dog I call Boone and a black mouth bitch I raised they're both good treedogs. He is out of my old female that is about 8 years old she's been a super good treedog, squirrels coons bobcats. She got hit by UTV it crippled her up and then a few months back she caught a feral cat she got bad sick a couple days afterwards and about died she hasn't been able bark well since she got over it just kinda squeaks. I bred her to a male dog my wife's cousin had he called Swampbox ,the pups out of them are 3 now. Swampbox was a really good dog he was off of a Treeing Walker that was directly off Bone Collector and a bitch that was out of a male I raised that was off a male Plott and a black mouth bitch. The Plott was raised by Roy Stiles, out in the Carolinas we got him as a pup and started him. He was a really nice hound a boar ended up cutting his Achilles tendon and he lost a back leg. We bred a few bitches to him both hounds and curs and then gave him to a friend of ours to breed too, I had 2 really nice full Plott bitches off of him. I lost one, she was a outstanding young hound I hog and tree hunted her she was almost solid black you could barely see her brindle markings if the light was right. I never did figure out what happened to her. She had a DC40 collar on that was right after them and the Astro 320 came out. I lost connection with her collar never picked it back up and never saw her again. I was hunting by the lead mines she was getting close to the highway when I lost connection with her collar. The mines haul trucks fly up and down the roads hauling ore or rock getting paid by the load they drive like race car drivers. I traveled the roads for weeks looking for her but never found her or her remains. I figure she was hit by a haul truck and killed and busted her gps collar and it knocked her off the road where I couldn't see her. She wasn't stranger friendly so I don't think she was stolen thats been over a decade ago. The other bitch was young but making a nice hound and a boar killed her. I wrote a story about her that was published in Tuskers magazine that was titled after her name. I just bought a Redbone pup she just turned 8 months old she's running track and treeing with my other dogs. I've got a male Airedale that's about 2 years old now he's my wife's dog he's really gamey and he will tree. I tried a lot of stuff years ago before I settled into what I ended up with hog hunting part of it was they worked better than anything else I tried, they suited me 100% for my style of hog hunting and part of it thats just where life steered me. We raised several half Airedale's off of hounds and curs and male Airedale catchdog we had years ago. They were really nice dogs a lot of them were really rough and got killed young but some of them were extremely long ranged hunting dogs with good noses really smart they were rough on a hogs rearend but soon as the hog turned they bayed loose. The last one we had, him and a hog fell through the ice in a lake and he drowned. He was the best out of all of them was getting up in years we should have raised pups out of him but I was to stuck on raising full black mouths at the time. He was off of a Plott bitch that came from Wayde Mann directly off the Lock Tight Amos dog he had. I'm kinda in a rebuilding process again gonna breed what I want that 100% suits me hopefully. Not that the black mouths aren't good that I have I just want to go a little different direction I think see where life steers me this time :wink: . The treedogs I have now are nice dogs but I'm not 100% satisfied with them they probably would do just fine if I was still riding mules most of the time hunting but to many of the Black Mouths are completely silent on track and my male crossbred dog doesn't hunt out far enough to suit me he does ok rigging or roading him but critters aren't always near roads. His sister is a nice dog hunts out like I want but won't tree unless she can see it she's good hogdog I'll probably breed her to something in the future that is a good treedog. I've got a male Black Mouth I raised I call Boomer he's really long ranged got a cold nose he will tree if he can see it, I haven't raised any pups out him yet but I plan too. I may raise some Airedale crosses in the future too. Some of the Black Mouths I have are double hair coated they go back to the Big Thicket cur dogs in deep east Texas I didn't know it until later but I guess through the years some of the guys down there have added Airedale to their dogs. The bitch I have bred now is double hair coated she's a nice bitch she will be 5 or 6 this fall I think. I call her Twila she's good treedog hunts decent if she's freecast and will even open on a track some kinda why I'm raising the pups off her and the male crossbred dog. I've hunted the previous 2 mornings the dogs and I are resting today didn't do much good critters are chasing the acorns that are starting to fall and predators are scattered chasing them and it's still hot but it's been being decent in the early morning. I've rambled enough for today hope y'all are doing well...
Last edited by Renagade Curs on Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:18 pm

She ended up having 10 pups on the 18th and still has all of them 5 males 3 females...
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:45 am

What did you get for color out of this litter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:33 pm

All brindles but some have white points and one ring neck Twila is a red brindle
jcodyj

Postby jcodyj » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:39 pm

I hunt with 2 kemmer dogs (Stryker bred). Just over 1 year they have become great coon dogs. The goal is snow lion hunting with them this winter. They are my first 2 dogs. As a ranch manager with lots of hunting spots, I have tried to hunt at least every other night since I got them at 8 weeks old. I didn’t know much except watching my dad with running dogs growing up, but I have loved every second of our training. These dogs have taught me more then I could teach them. They run a track almost totally silent, they tree good with a bawl mouth and they are accurate as can be. I’m real proud of these cur dogs and it’s in no way due to my knowledge. It’s totally about time in the woods. I’d be interested in trying one crossed with a hound.
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:57 pm

If i get them raised you can have one for the cost of the shots and wormer to try I'm probably going to keep the female pups I might keep one male but I probably won't I like hunting females and I've got a buddy or 2 wanting a pup
Spencer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Spencer » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:55 am

I have a couple BMC's. 2 and 10 years old. mostly companion, they go to work with me. They are treeing squirrel machines though!!!
Pagosa
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Pagosa » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:14 am

I got a Leopard Hound pup last winter that is a little over a year and showing some progress. He doesn’t seem as good as hunter as my past Leopard, but I think he will turn out fine. He wants to hunt, but hasn’t been exposed to a lot of game yet. Plan to start walking out cat tracks with him and/or get him on a released coon.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:56 pm

Been hunting some since deer season is over for me. Cut a track last week but the dogs struggled once it went onto the south slope where the snow burned off. That was their first track in 6 months and my lead dog died 2 months ago, so I anticipated them to struggle. I really only have one finished snow dog and his feet were so soft that he slipped pads on all 4 feet on that race. Then I have one green dog that’s doing real good just needs more tracks and 6 pups that I am tryin to pack in once I get a tracks started.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:04 pm

One green dog & six pups, man that must be a challenge. Good luck

Return to “Cur Dogsâ€