BnTxBloodhound bred with a BluetickxBloodhound

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
DantheHoundMan

BnTxBloodhound bred with a BluetickxBloodhound

Postby DantheHoundMan » Fri May 15, 2009 1:51 am

Hey, I wanted to know yalls opinion on the pups if I bred the pick of the litter male from the BnTxBloodhound and the pick of the litter female from the BluetickxBloodhound.
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: BnTxBloodhound bred with a BluetickxBloodhound

Postby Dan V » Thu May 21, 2009 4:13 pm

From personal experience there is a big difference between "the pic of the litter" and a finished hound. I have had several "pics of the litter" that never made a dog that I would want to breed. And I have seen pups that did not stand out at all, but ended up being the best dog out of the litter.

The only way to know if it is going to work out is to try it. Let us know in 6 years. Hunt the pups from the first cross and when they finish out and you really know what you've got 3 years from now; breed 2 of them together. Then hunt the offspring and see how they finish out. Might be a damn good cross or the genetics might not line up right. You just don't know.
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Thu May 21, 2009 5:28 pm

I got to reading what I just wrote, and I hope I did not sound discouraging. But I was just talking about this same topic with a rancher friend of mine. They have a great breeding program going on with their quarter horses. They normally keep around 30-60 mares. They have around 4 different stud horses.

2 of these studs are 1/2 brothers and are 9 years old. They have been breeding to these 2 studs for 5 years and are just now getting to see the finished product. First they had to ride the studs when they were colts and decide if they were what they were looking for in a stud, 3-4 years old. Then they started breeding them. Their first crop of colts are now 5 years old and you can see what they are like as a "somewhat finished horse." There is another crop of 4 year olds behind them that are making good horses. Now then, when I go out and look at some three year old colts, I have a better idea of what I'm looking at. I know in general what their disposition will be like, how cowy they will be, what kind of rope horses do they make, how quick do they learn etc. etc.

Here is the punch line: it takes years to see what you got.

The same rancher had a well bred stud horse that bred some mares. 3 years later you get to ride the colts and find out that you don't like what you've got (that stud did not cross well on the mares). Now you've got a batch of yearlings, a batch of 2 year olds and a batch of 3 year olds that are NOT what you were looking for or hoping for.....time to start over.

I guess its the same with dogs. Sure you can catch some game with 1 year old dogs. But are you seeing all of their potential? Do you know how well they will start a bad track when they are 1 years old? how well do they cold trail?, do they drift a track or straddle?, how tuff are their feet? How well do they hold up to hard hunting for several days?

Your B&T X Blood Hound, and your Bluetick X Blood Hound cross might work great; but it might be years until you know if it does work or if its time to start over......
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Thu May 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Right on. Cameron had a family line he bred for 5 generations. He didn't like what he was seeing and culled the whole bunch. Only time and exposure will tell.
Majestic Tree Hound
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Majestic Tree Hound » Thu May 21, 2009 10:19 pm

This is "Tree Chopper" he is a "F2" (2nd Generation of the 1st Bloodhound X Black and Tan Cross on his top Side, His Bottom Side is Bloodhound X Bluetick)

So Chopper is 50% Bloodhound X 25% Black and Tan X 25% Bluetick

This is "Diamond" she is a "F1" (1st Generation off Bloodhound X Bluetick)

This year would have been the 3rd time Cross on these to hounds "But Diamond did'nt Take" ???

So we will have to Check out Chopper and see if he is still Potent .. Or maybe it was Diamond .. She did short Cycle 2 weeks ...

So if your using Qty Hounds in your crosses you should be headed in the Right Direction

and Worthy of giving it a shot .. Good luck
Steve Morrow "Saltlick Majestic's"
"Never Have Hounds Or Kids And You Won't Get Your Heart Broke"!!

Salt Lick Kennels

Bawling Tree Kennels

Sunrise Outfitting

Canine Training Academy - Co.

The Mara Conservancy - Kenya Africa
DantheHoundMan

Postby DantheHoundMan » Tue May 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks for your help Dan V, and no, you didnt discouarge me in the least. I knew all along that this cross would take time.

And Majestic, those are some great looking hounds. How do they hunt?
Majestic Tree Hound
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Majestic Tree Hound » Tue May 26, 2009 2:33 pm

They are Good hunters and Very Fast Hounds but will move a cold track as required ..

But their is a Thing as TOO Much Bloodhound !! Really Evaluate the whole litter for what your looking For.. In your first few Breedings you'l get everything from almost Pure Bloodhounds to Pure Black and Tans/Blueticks .. But their will be a few Pups in the litter that have Homogenized everything you want.

Salt Lick Kennels

Bawling Tree Kennels

Sunrise Outfitting

DantheHoundMan

Postby DantheHoundMan » Tue May 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Hey Majestic, are you the owner of Salt Lick Kennels, Steve Morrow?
Majestic Tree Hound
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Majestic Tree Hound » Tue May 26, 2009 8:54 pm

Yes I is !!

Salt Lick Kennels

Bawling Tree Kennels

Sunrise Outfitting

artrodex
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 675701420

Postby artrodex » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:30 am

i was talking with many people around but i think you have more experience in this, do you have dominance or agression in your f1 bloodhound x example blue tick? if yes the dog show agression what is the other breed did you use, did you try this with different breed or just one strain? there is difference between you do the cross for example with a blue tick or if you use a redbone in the agression they show? i dont know i i make a good explanation my English not the best. i just wondering the aggression show in the F1 bloodhound is because the bloodhound or is some from the other breed used, i was reading and Brazil they have the fila brasileiro is a kind of hound guardian dog, and they show a trait of agression to the people
Majestic Tree Hound
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Majestic Tree Hound » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 pm

artrodex ... In "Aggesion" do you mean on Game ??

The Fila Brasileiro had alot of Genetics from the Cuban Bloodhound and their are Many Hounds from southern Mexico, Central America and South America that Still have Cuban Bloodhound X French Heratage even today ..

Look at the Hounds Here .. Their mostly French and French Crosses .. These too would have the Cuban Bloodhound Pieces ..
concurso rastreo con perros http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBljwOoY7w

Cuban Bloodhound

Developed at the same time as the Cuban Dogge, this large working dog was created using imported English Mastiffs, Deutsche Dogges, French Mastiffs, St.Hubert Bloodhounds, English Greyhounds and a variety of old British bulldogges. The Cuban Bloodhound was a tracker and retriever of slaves in Jamaica, Cuba and the American south, where it was exported alongside its smaller white cousin, the Dogo Cubano. It was even seen in Oregon in the 1820's, where it was employed to rid the newly established farms of predators, such as wolves, bears and panthers. The Cuban Bloodhound was a fairly common guard dog in Florida, as well as Texas, where it was crossed with the American Foxhound to create the now-extinct Texas Hound breed.

A number of these colossal hounds were seen in England, but weren't as appreciated as the established British breeds, probably due to their aggressive nature. It is also believed that the Cuban Bloodhound was one of the key breeds used in the development of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Massive, but agile, this was a fast and powerful hound, prized for its excellent scenting ability and high prey-drive. It also made a good big game hunting dog and was a reliable property guardian. The breed eventually became extinct during the 19th century. Tall, strong-boned and broad-chested, the Cuban Bloodhounds are said to had resembled a much heavier Great Dane than a typical hound. The short coat was flat and hard, coming in a variety of colours, but the most valued and famous dogs were uniform black. Average height was reportedly around 36 inches, although there is a possibility that this might've been an exaggeration.

Salt Lick Kennels

Bawling Tree Kennels

Sunrise Outfitting

kurt betournay
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby kurt betournay » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Gee the diamond hound looks wise is almost identical to a hound here, he was result of gascon hound cross bloodhound.
3 days ago got six all black pups , white or brown feet and light ticking on chests out of a gascon (all blue type) and a reg bloodhound,,,,all six close to jet black
RMello
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby RMello » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:21 am

You should not cross two half bloodhounds.Look for an old type bluetick or a majestic from someone who knows about hounds and hunts his stock.Theres a puppy in the mid-west that has been crossing anything to a bloodhound and calling it a majestic, hes done alot to hurt theses type of hounds. Get ahold of Lee Newhart, Lansing DeLee or myself and will try to help.

Return to “Majestic Hounds”