How to get CA to allow Mountain Lion hunts?

ALEX
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: How to get CA to allow Mountain Lion hunts?

Postby ALEX » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:08 pm

SASS,

You're right. Emotion over logic, reason, science, sound wildlife management and rationale is what governs wildlife policies in CA. What has some worried is that whoever is funding the study, could have bearing on what DFW is "supposed" to conclude in the study. And with that, the negative outcome that some think could come even though lions are specially protected in Ca is further restriction on handling depredation instances by lions. As it stands, the majority of the state, except certain pockets in So Ca are quite aggressive in handling depredation cases and writing permits to take a lion causing damage. The anti's want to see Ca DFW make that policy to write lethal take depredation permits much, much, more conservative.

A 3 strike policy for a lion causing issues, before a lethal removal option is granted, is the current policy on certain genetic pockets of lions in the Santa Monica mountains and Santa Ana's. The anti's want that to be a statewide policy for all lions.

Prop 117, could only be overturned by an 80% aye vote at the capitol legislature, then a signature by the governor. No way that could happen unless the state happens to have a republican governor and republican controlled senate, and assembly committees to pass the bill through to the governor. The likelihood of that kind of republican majority in Sacramento simultaneously might be impossible, in order to propose an over turning bill for Prop 117 with any hope it could pass.
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: How to get CA to allow Mountain Lion hunts?

Postby SASS » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Thank you for that info on how it could become stricter, I didn't even think about the depredation part.

I agree with all you have said and we have tried to amend prop 117 in the past (prop 197) just to see it fail. Honestly I don't see much hope for this state as logic goes out the window with all legislature here.

Return to “California”