True Oldstyle Southwestern Dryground Pups

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: True Oldstyle Southwestern Dryground Pups

Postby pegleg » Fri May 14, 2010 3:16 pm

tim nice man. did all the pups favor the dam that strongly? I would have thought with the males genetics so strongly aligned and matched up through years of line breeding they would have favored the male much more. got any audio of them :D ?
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Fri May 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Big 'N Blue's "Frenchie".

liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Fri May 14, 2010 3:36 pm

No audio yet, but soon, as Hoss has the kind of voice that I want to listen to when I am too old to follow the hounds. I have only seen recent pics of about 1/2 of the litter, so I don't know what the rest look like. But even though Lilly and Dakota are different breeds there are alot of similarities between them in the looks department. On closer examination there are some French influences ie, ears, legs, length of nose, ect. Besides, like I mentioned earlier, I feel there is a larger than normal concentration of French blood behind Lilly, that's the main reason I used her as an outcross first. I think the breeding nicked so well that I might be right.
Maverick
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Maverick » Fri May 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Nice looking dogs Tim, I would like to see a couple of them hanging off of a big ole bears rump!!!
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Fri May 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks Mav.

Mine will not be used on bear, but Rosin's is doing just that.. as we sit right here.
When he gets a chance, I hope he fills us in.
Maverick
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Maverick » Fri May 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Youre welcome. I cant wait to hear the details of the bear hunts.
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Mon May 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Tim,

I know you put the Dakota x Lilly pups in the hands of some guys who will definitely put them to the test. I honestly can't wait to see how they do, and I mean that sincerely. I don't always agree with the circumstantial evidence about how much French influence there was in the 20th century, but I do enjoy good quality hounds and I really hope this proves to be the missing link. Here's my question and I'm not being facitious... I'm somewhat familiar with the bloodlines behind Lilly, but I'm not sure where the french connection comes in on her. Is she somehow related to the Bill Green hounds? I will be the first to admit that I got lost in some of the other threads that got blown out of proportion and controversial. I mean nothing of the sort here.
Larry Morgan
Morgan's Cajun Blue Gascons
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Thu May 20, 2010 1:52 pm

One of the Lilly males (8 months old) treed his own bear the other day, I will see about getting permission to post the details.

Larry, (and others) The French connection in Lilly's blood can't be proven. But many guys believe that the old Goswick strain came from french blood that the Goswicks brought to Arizona from Louisianna. Most think Porcelain.
Maverick
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Maverick » Thu May 20, 2010 6:46 pm

The 8 mo old male must have something going for him!!!
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Thu May 20, 2010 9:44 pm

:wink:
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Tue May 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Larry Morgan
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Thu May 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Larry, it might be worth a brag or two if you are a lucky man, otherwise...well you know.

I am of the understanding that the original Goswicks predated the Lee brothers and beared no connection.
Later in time the two did trade hounds. One in particular was a bluetick outcrop from the redticks that the Leebros got from Goswick called Arizona blue.
Bill Green did breed to Arizona Blue and is in Smith's Blue Ann's ped. The outstanding bitch Harry O. Smith bought from Bill Green.

I am surprised to hear that you can still bring Fullcry to school!LOL Things aren't as bad as I thought!
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Fri May 28, 2010 12:41 am

Larry Morgan
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Goswick correction

Postby lmorgan » Fri May 28, 2010 11:08 am

Tim,

I went back through the article I referred to and I stand corrected. I have years worth of old NMTHA articles through the '80s and '90s that Don Crowder sent me. I've read all of them, but they all kinda run together after awhile. Here is the direct quote from Giles Goswick: "All my dogs are a cross between Walker and Bluetick and are of the same stock that my Dad had years ago." Quoted by Lee Newhart as "...a 1930's magazine article authored by Giles Goswick and is entitled ' We Killed A Lion Without Firing A Shot'. Full Cry, July 1989 pp. 44

I'm still pretty certain I read of a connection between the Lees and Goswick in another of those old articles, but there are so many articles about the Lees that it is entirely possible that the same connection you mentioned about the Lees getting a hound from Goswick was mentioned in passing and I picked up on that. I know we'll never really know who had what or who bred what, but I do enjoy these trips through hound history.

Can someone give me some background on the "Walker and Bluetick" hounds that the senior Mr. Goswick had "years ago"? Tim, are these the hounds that were brought to Arizona via Louisiana? Do you think there was also a connection to the elusive Rousseau hounds?
Larry Morgan
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Fri May 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Larry,

That quote from Giles by way of Newhart doesn't make sense, I would think Giles father came out here long before the there was a Walker breed? However I did find a Train Company manifest that listed Walkers and Blueticks going to Giles in the 50's, I believe it was. I think I saved it to a flash drive.

There was a definate Goswick/Lee connection, but I never tried to figure out how much.

I do not believe that the senior Goswick brought Walker/Blueticks, rather he is the Rousseau connection. He walked and rode right thru the Rousseau country on his way out here.

Also, how probable is it to create a strain of all redticks, from Walker x Bluetick crosses?
I don't know that much about color inheritence?

Return to “Gascon / Old Fashion Blueticks”