General pictures - Gascon Saintongeois

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
Big N' Blue
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: General pictures - Gascon Saintongeois

Postby Big N' Blue » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks for posting the video African. I believe one day in the future that the benefits that the GS bring to the table will be recognized. Tim should be given a lot of credit for importing them and you for sending such quality specimens. IMHO
Dads dogboy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dads dogboy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Ole Sierra Madre will be on here afterwhile with a Video and pics from Old Mexico with GScross Hounds from Big N Blue that look and perform much like Africans Hounds!

Ole Peg Leg is QUIETLY proving the GS's worth in the desert SW.....and they can make a Bruin very nervous in the Mountain Forests.

Both of these Houndsmen operate under the Radar on the premise of "No Bragg....Just Fact"
C. John Clay
diamondctv@aol.com
870-223-2063
Sierra Madre
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Sierra Madre » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Good thanks to Big and Blue for finding a home in the Coahuila, Mexico for the Gascon . We are in semi arid brush country and get around 15''of rain yearly. We find the dogs very well suited.
Attachments
P1060245.JPG
P1060269.JPG
P1060300.JPG
These roading pics were in August this year after some good rains
tomtom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby tomtom » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:00 pm

So can a guy get one of these as a pup, take it to the woods, and tree coons with it at a year old?
African
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby African » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:34 am

tomtom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby tomtom » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:07 pm

Foook that is a big bobcat.

Guess they gotta be born smart enuff to wait until you shoot to grab hold.
Jimmy Lee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Jimmy Lee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:53 pm

Bill greens hounds were not french they were bloodhound crosses.
tom
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby tom » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:44 pm

Can any of you guys tell me where the goswick hounds originated from? I have a couple of them but don't know much detail about the history of them. They have some similarities to your French dogs, however I really don't know much about either of the breeds.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:37 pm

There is a lot of speculation about the earliest of the Goswick dogs that developed in Arizona. I spent time with Buddy Stevens who was related to the Goswick family by marriage and he also hunted quite a few years with the patriarch of the family Giles Goswick. It has been quite a few years now but it seems that actually when the pioneer Goswicks came west they brought some hounds with them that possibly developed in Louisana, and east Texas. Buddy said the earlies photos he saw of these initial hounds showed many of them to be either light bluetick or open spotted hounds often with a belton or what some of us call a buttermilk colored ear now and then. This belton trait has been traced to hounds from France namely the Porcelaine, and Grande Bleau De Goscogne. I doubt if there was any real records on these hounds and they were chosen as they had been for a long time based on their ability to catch game. I believe like many of the early big game hounds in Arizona most of them had a liberl dose of bloodhound put in them somehwere along the way to enhance or preserve cold trailing ability for desert condition. It must be rememebered their were no real registered track and tree hounds back in the early days of the territory, so like the Lees and Ben Lilly before them most of the blood came out of the deep southern states and was crossed with prison bloodhounds and then selectively culled and crossed.
Not very many of what are called Goswick hounds today carry much of the original Giles Goswick breeding although no doubt hidden back in the gene pool is some of it. George Goswick Gile's son and a very famous lion hunter hunted with his father for years and no doubt used the same bloodlines early on but later opted to add more treeing walker blood to his pack to increase speed and other traits. Buddy told me that George made the comment to him one time that he had spent so many nights in an Arizona Blanket ( On the ground under the stars) following his Dad's hounds on old cold trails that he didn't mind having dogs that were a little more medium nosed and fast because he got more sleep in a real bed. Giles was truely the old style hunter and although he had a good cattle ranch he let everything stop when a lion track was struck, and he would stay on it and sleep out until that lion was caught. Buddy said many times Giles didn't even care to sleep in the house at home and could be found outside near the hounds.

Anyway Gorge Goswick carried on the tradition and I have heard many say George knew lions so well he could probably catch most of them with a collie. Many of the greatest dry ground hunters still alive today reside in Arizona and southwest New Mexico and many of them have traces of the old Goswick and Lee dogs in their packs.

Several days ago I had the honor to set under some giant pines very near Clell's Lee's hunting camp in the Blue Wilderness of Arizona and visit with some living legends among lion hunters, and the Goswick name is still spoken of in high esteem among these hunters.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
tom
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby tom » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Thank you mike. This past spring I bought a couple of pups from Chris Todd. Their coming along we'll and I have high hopes for them. They defenently have a different look to them than most of the hounds that are coon hound type dogs.
African
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby African » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:13 am

driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:16 am

interesting videos
Jimmy Lee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Jimmy Lee » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:37 am

Nice video
Sierra Madre
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Sierra Madre » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:45 am

I love breed history...
Thanks Mike.
Jimmy Lee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Jimmy Lee » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Most of the colder nose strains came out of the north.their was many to choose from.

Return to “Gascon / Old Fashion Blueticks”