What's your longest race?

Talk about Bear Hunting
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What's your longest race?

Postby bowieknife50 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:15 pm

Pulled dogs somewhere between 18-20 miles into the race today. It got me wondering how far is your longest bear chase and what is your average bear chase. I would say our average chase is 6-8 miles.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What's your longest race?

Postby GVBEAR » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:33 am

Well it has been a couple years but had a few go over 27 miles if I recall and didn't catch or tree the bear kept pulling a bigger gap. That also was losing service from time to time to get around so it could have been more. But I guess this year I would say our average is pretty much the same as you some years it might be a bit shorter or longer
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:37 pm

My longest hog race was 11 miles and I thought that was long. Y’all definitely been on some marathons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:03 pm

My buddy Larry and I went Sat. behind the house and put out on a feeder. Knew a good hog had been there because of the tracks. Dogs trailed out and jumped. We ran this hog until about 3:30 and the dogs gave out due to the heat. This was in July in so. La.
Went the next morning with Mike Starling to another feeder about a mile away. Good hog had been there so we turned a couple of plotts loose. They trailed a little ways and jumped. When he made the first crossing I didnt think much of it but when he made the second crossing I told Mike that this was the hog we ran yesterday and to come on cause I knew where he was going. We got around the block just in time to see him cross. About a 200# leggy boar. We went to the next crossing and when he crossed we packed fresh dogs on him and repeated this a number of times catching up the back dogs every time. Finally around 2:30 we broke him down and he bayed. Went in and caught him but he died just a few minutes after tying him up. We started this hog at 6:30 and the dogs ran non stop till 2:30. They averaged from 5.5 mph to 7.5mph as this was all cutover. I took the slowest time 5.5 mph x 8 hours and came up with 44 miles. That is not taking into consideration that we lost communications a couple of times. Now the dogs might not have run all that because we were relaying them but I figured the hog sure did and also thought he probably ran at least that far the day before.
Sure makes you wonder how far they run when you run them all day and not catch them. I have run bear that long too but alot of times it seems bear will tree right at dark but I have had much shorter bear races then hog races if the hog wants to run.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:56 pm

Dang that’s a long way for sure. It was also good dog work good dog handling. Impressive for sure.

bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:14 pm

Zero hog races under my belt, that's crazy to think of a pig running that far. Never knew they had those kind of legs. We did pull off a coyote one day at 37 miles. This was straight line calculated from where we started 18 miles straight east until he hit a town then 1 mile north then 18 miles straight back west to end up almost exactly where we started.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:34 pm

The problem with hogs are they can stay in thick cover and trot all day. Unless a dog can push them hard enough to make them run it is hard to break them down. Open woods is another story and dogs can shut them down fairly easy. A lot also depends on how much they are run and how dog savvy they are. Of course it could just be these sorry Plotts of mine.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:21 pm

Lol if those plott dogs of yours are sorry then there are bunch more worse dogs out there, some of them are in my kennel.

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:33 am

I’ve noticed when I have a really long race I’m just following and never catch it. The ones that have a positive end never last over 11/2 hrs. The races I figure I’m running game is a good start that steadily increases to a stronger race until something is caught, goes up or down.

Return to “Bear Huntingâ€