NC Training Season

Talk about Bear Hunting
mrburneisen
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

NC Training Season

Postby mrburneisen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:43 am

With NC's training season just around the corner, I'm getting 2 fat dogs ready for the season. I can't turn dogs loose on public land until Aug. 15th. Does anyone have any tips to get dogs back in shape?
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: NC Training Season

Postby david » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:21 am

I used to get my dogs and myself in shape by riding bike and running dogs with me. I hunted off bicycle as well

I have known bear hunters who would run dogs on a road behind their truck. They run a lot harder behind the truck trying to catch up. 8 miles a day. But you might not have a remote road where you can do this.

I visited a man in Ohio who had his hound in the house on a treadmill. It was the darndest thing. The hound was a serious competition coon hound and looked as hard and ripped as any hound I have ever seen. And he said the dog loved it and craved it.

Other bear hunters I have known used a rotating horse walker set up for dogs. They would have a couple logs for them to have to jump over each time around. But you Would have to watch them in case a dog fell down.
mrburneisen
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby mrburneisen » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:53 am

Thank you,

I hadn't thought about the mountain bike, that would help get all of us in shape. I'll probably give this a try without the leash. I can see an exciting downhill ride in my future if I keep my female walker on the leash while I'm on the bike. I have put them on the ground behind the subaru, but to your point I've encountered people camping and my dogs ran straight into their campsite to lick everyone and beg for their bacon. No harm no foul, but it's still a preventable interaction with non hunters who just look at me like it's my fault they decided to camp in the game land. Tourists around here have a bad habit of just pitching tents wherever they feel like it along dirt roads. I can see the rotating horse setup working well for getting the dogs some exercise in the backyard. I could probably even build it myself. there is a pretty big horse culture in this area, so I could probably find the parts I need pretty easily. I appreciate the advice.
graham
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby graham » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:04 pm

A polaris ranger with a bear or coon drag behind it and that gets my dogs in serious shape if you have a place to ride. Hopefully that also helps.

Return to “Bear Hunting”