Treed lion

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Treed lion

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Observe your pack of dogs, and listen to them. If you have a Garmin this may be a little easier. sometimes position in the pack changes over time on the track. Old top dog walker may have recently found himself looking at the rear end of a younger hound that is beating him on the track, and he doesn't like it one bit. He thinks, and I do believe dogs do think or retain over time what is going to be the outcome. Ok, I can't catch that other dog ahead of me but old Bearhound always comes up and pets me and tells me I am a good boy when I tree, so I will fix that young whipper snapper of a hound outrunning me I will just set down and tree, and I will get some praise anyway.

I have had some of those use to be number one dogs get so jealous that they didn't want to come to a tree the other dogs were on and had the game, and at times when they did come to the tree they would run around and take the back track and start trailing back to where you started the track or beyond to draw the other dogs off the tree.

May not be the case and not sure what to do about but I have seen jealous dogs start false treeing a lot. And I know about climbing down and back up out of those super deep canyons after you look at a slick tree and it is not fun.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Mike, older coon hounds do the same thing even though they have been hunted solo most all the time. The older they get the more they false tree when there is no competition around. The older I get, I find a spot to set down a lot quicker also and it not because I want to be petted on the head. My feet , legs and back hurts. Probably same in dogs.
Bearhound
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Bearhound » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:59 pm

Yeah I think a lot of us don’t give our dogs enough credit and I am one of em. Meaning I never considered emotional type behavior to be a possibility but the more I hunt the more I agree with the jealousy behavior theory. These hounds have more thoughts running through their heads than I probably give em credit for. Next slick tree will be treated like a trash chase. Thanks for the thoughts. I am gonna try some pack changes and treeing changes to see what happens.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby twist » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:04 am

Get after the dog for doing it! If not corrected it will just get worse. A 5yr old lead hound shouldnt be getting out ran! Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Macedonia mule man,

I have seen some of the craziest behavior in older coon dogs too. I had an old long eared black and tan years ago and he was one of the very best coon dogs I have ever hunted with. No ridge running crazy twisting jumping old coon could beat him after this old dog got wise to his tricks. He preferred to hunt alone and he didn't need any help. He was 80 pounds of raw muscle and he could kill a big northern boar coon by himself quick, even in the water. He would swim, circle of them and as they turned to pivot around keeping those front legs up to grab he would nail them right over the head and head to the bank with them and the bones would then pop!

As he got a bit older I needed to get some younger dogs working behind him so my future as a hide hunter could be secure. Lord back in those days I felt if I could make 20K a year hunting coons and cats and trapping a bit I had just about reached the pinnacle. LOL!

Anyway when I got to running those young dogs with old Gunsmoke he would go silent and slip off from them and get a coon going and he was fast and usually pretty open on track with a big horn bawl but he would just go silent as death, and many times the first thing you would hear would be the scream and squall of the coon as he caught him on the ground and put on the death grip. He would then at times go to digging like a mad man and bury that coon and then head off hunting again. I caught him doing it several times and when I dug the coon up out of the shallow hole he would glare at me and when I got to the truck and the other dogs showed up,to any dog that even smelled his coon. LOL! Saw him do this on creek banks and also in corn fields.

I have had other dogs do some other crazy stuff on big game when they got to thinking they were the only dog that deserved to be in the woods.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Lion Hunting”