Training Not Translating to Field

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Training Not Translating to Field

Postby Walkerdirt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Like I've said earlier both my young dogs trail really well during training. In an effort to avoid having to buy a finished dog and to make things easy on my pups to get on the freshest scent possible without risking them running trash (deer and coyotes) I'm thinking about taking my electric predator call out to bring cats and fox in close and then cutting dogs loose on the seconds old track. Obviously this wouldn't be how I want to hunt them in the future but I feel like it could be a good way to get them started. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
JustinKeller
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JustinKeller » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:51 am

If at all possible, get to a young dog when they catch the right game, short of killing yourself. An attaboy in a situation like that will do wonders. I made a commitment to my dogs, if they go I go. Its not always possible but the dogs will try harder for you if can get in there with them. Good luck
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:25 am

dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:15 am

We've set up an electronic caller in an area along the river/creek. Gone on and checked for tracks, then if we aren't finding any tracks come check around the caller to see if anything walked by. Let the caller work, while your out working it from a different approach...
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:11 pm

This site is great. I appreciate being able to bounce my ideas off you guys. I'll be sure to do an update once I get something in a tree.
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:42 pm

I was out with my dogs last weekend casting them in an area I know lions frequent. My walker opened up and started trailing in a large wash. I could really tell he was freshening up the track and my pointerbull was on it too. Walker dog ended up about 300 yards in front of me and just went ape shit. Once they were out of site both dogs started racing up a steep heavily vegetated mountain that was topped with a bunch of large boulders. I beat feet to try to stay with them but it was slow going. I had a pack full of trail cameras and other useless items that I ended up dumping out of my pack and just kept my water. Dogs were reading treed on the back side of the boulders for almost 30 minutes. I was seeing lion tracks on my way up to them but right when I was about to crest the peak to be able to see them I looked at my GPS and they were headed back to me at 150 yards. I tried to get them going again but both dogs looked a little shook up. I'm think they might have caught I lion and the cat scared them off. Both dogs are really young and in experienced.

Thoughts?
Rshcwisdom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rshcwisdom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:33 am

Did you walk on into where they were showing treed and see what was going on?
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm

I did but I couldn’t pinpoint which rock they were on.

Return to “Lion Hunting”