1st lion hunting trip self guided

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
svanhandel
Facebook ID: 0

1st lion hunting trip self guided

Postby svanhandel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:59 pm

I am headed to the Rifle- Meeker area in CO on 12/20 and staying for 2weeks. This is my 1st trip lion hunting and going into this blind. I will be with a partner and we will be bringing 6 hounds and 1 snowmobile. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. We have taken the identification test. Just looking for help or advise to have and enjoyable time and tree a few cats!! Not looking to shoot any females or record Tom's, just looking for an enjoyable chase with the dogs. Thanks in advance for any help or advice
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: 1st lion hunting trip self guided

Postby Walkerdirt » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:32 pm

How did it go?
svanhandel

Postby svanhandel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:10 pm

Well we were not successful as far as harvest goes . Only had 1 inch of snow in 13 days of hunting along with numerous units closing the day of our arrival. We learned a lot of areas and where to hunt. Found out it can be difficult to access some of the public land due to having to go through private land 1st. Met a couple of great local houndsmen that were very helpful and would like to say a huge Thank You to them. Already preparing for next year but will definitely go earlier next time.
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Sounds frustrating but fun. Glad to hear you made the best of it.

I was in the same boat last weekend trying to learn the areas of AZ that get snow instead of always trying to do it in the dirt. I learned a bunch but a lot of the areas I was interested in checking out had controlled burns going and it was too smoky for me to stick around and I think the animals felt the same way. Cold trailed a big tom for a little while but couldn't make anything of it.

Good luck on your next trip.

Return to “Lion Hunting”