Temperature and Dry Ground

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Physch
Facebook ID: 0

Temperature and Dry Ground

Postby Physch » Mon May 09, 2022 12:22 am

What is the hottest you run your dogs? During summer how do you beat the heat?
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Temperature and Dry Ground

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat May 21, 2022 6:21 pm

I’m in Texas so after a certain point it doesn’t get below the mid 80’s even at night usually. The coolest part of the day is an hour before daylight so we usually try to dump right about then. I’ve had dogs bayed in rolling briar patches at 1-2 o’clock in the day and 102*. I wouldn’t intentionally do that but sometimes they get out of pocket quick and it takes a minute to get to them. I could tone them but if they are bayed I’m not going to take that from them. I’m gonna catch it if at all possible. Had it happen before and even then my old gyp was wanting to roll over and bay another one. We also try to hunt water. We usually hunt water sources during the heat verses the food source. Their watering options seem to get lesser before their feeding options plus the dogs can cook themselves and the hogs will bay up in the water a lot of times when they haven’t been able to shake the dogs. That’s where hard track driving dogs are so beneficial in my opinion. We also have water for the dogs on the buggy. Another thing I believe that helps is knowing my preferred game and it’s habits on top of knowing my places that I hunt. Not making the dogs hunt for an hour before they get into sign helps. If the dogs are hot and spent before they ever find the quarry then your success rate is going to go down. Just my opinions of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun May 22, 2022 10:59 pm

I am kinda lucky here in NV. I just transition to hunting at night. But I have gotten pictures and videos of lions moving on ridges until 10:30 in the morning. If I’m hunting during the day, I watch my dogs. If they’re panting hard, huntin shade and laying up that’s when I call it. You can acclimate them by starting off in the morning and huntin or exercising them until they’re showing you that they’re hot. Give them water, time to cool off and then head back to the truck for the day.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon May 23, 2022 12:10 pm

Down the bayou where I hunt, the humidity seems to inter in more than heat. High 80s- low 90s with high humidity is bad for my hunting. When it’s uncomfortable for me, I can see it is also on the dogs. Went one morning 2 weeks ago, temp was 79 deg with high,high humidity and the dogs were shot after 45 min of running. One of the better runs I have ever had was July 7 9am - 2pm. Temp was above 90 with exrtemely low humidity. Dogs were tired but not completely done when I caught them up.
Physch

Postby Physch » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:53 pm

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. The humidity definitely takes a lot out of me and the dogs.

Return to “Lion Huntingâ€