New to hog hunting

Talk about Hog hunting
James50
Facebook ID: 0

New to hog hunting

Postby James50 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:11 pm

So what are some tips for training bay dogs and then some tips for training catch dogs that everyone uses? I'm sure everyone has their own methods so lets hear some of them. How many times do you like to put them in a hog pen before you hunt them? Do you believe that you can work them in a hog pen or lot too much? Any advice is appreciated.
BoaringManitoba

Re: New to hog hunting

Postby BoaringManitoba » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:42 pm

I know this is an old topic, but I have a similar question.

I'm also gonna have a hard time getting a pig to train em on. What are the chances I can teach em to track the pig and teach em in the field?
Pwilson
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Pwilson » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:03 pm

I don’t start mine in a pen I may let them bark at one 10 barks in a pen and that’s it I start mine in the woods but age is a lot to do with it the right mind set in a dog an he will bay a rat it’s really all up to the dog i mean hell I take a hog and drag him around through the woods and put him in a wood box we’re they can see him and they will bay the hair off that box then I move them to a hog that has a 4 foot 2x4 tied to a back leg and turn him loose then walk them pups hunting and go to right we’re I turned that hog out and they find and bay it few times later few times later next thing u know ur catching hogs in the woods no problem but it’s all up to the dogs and the way there breed and there mind set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BoaringManitoba

Postby BoaringManitoba » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:23 am

Awesome, thanks for your input!

What if I got some pig ears and used them as treats so when he smells em he gets excited, then did some training by dragging them along the ground. If he seems to enjoy the game of looking for it, and shows prey drive, he might just be able to learn?

Return to “Hog Hunting”