Running Beagles for deer

A place to talk about Deer/Elk Hunting and any other BigGame or Small game hunting Without dogs.
Doghunter18
Facebook ID: 0

Running Beagles for deer

Postby Doghunter18 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Does anyone on here use beagles for deer or any other type of game other than rabbits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbde17
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Running Beagles for deer

Postby bbde17 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:49 pm

i have a fre buddies that use beagles to run deer and love them. not fast enough to run a deer into the next area code, and theres a real easy to handle which is great due to the size of their gang anyone can catch them
Cooch
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Cooch » Tue May 27, 2014 7:48 am

Beagles one of the three breeds used in SE Australia after Sambar...
kiwi
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 1709122889

Postby kiwi » Tue May 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Yeah , this little fella accounted for a fair few deer until we lost him , ran this stag until he bayed him . Never stopped voicing at all ,Top little dog
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:59 am

Don't know how much it worked but I talked to a guy who used about 3 of them for fox and coyote hunting said that he had done it for a good amount of time and never had a dog killed or even bad hurt by the fox or coyote
cry tough blues

Postby cry tough blues » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:58 pm

I use beagle/walker crosses for deer
coontail
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby coontail » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:54 pm

ive always used beagles . beagles are perfect for small drives. the walker guys wouldnt have confidence in t hem. they would say they were running a rabbit , but the beagles would come out running a deer. you could catch them and send them back in that patch of woods and they come out running more deer. they keep the deer moving but dont push them hard. walkers jump, then if they get by you, they are gone. ive done it since before the beep beep collars were used.
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 am

Coontail,
You are 100% correct. Beagles are ideal deer dogs. When I was a kid my Uncle had an old beagle named Bob that we hunted deer with. That dog loved to run them, actually he pushed them at a fast walk, you could hear him coming and have plenty of time to get where you needed to be. I have seen him bring out a deer that ended up being shot and that dog would come up to the dead deer and get him a mouth full of fur and shake it a few times and then Bob would head back into the woods and look for another one. That was something to see and a fun time for a kid. :D
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:06 am

Yes sir we run a couple beagles and they don't run no rabbits if they are tounging you better get your gun up ours will even cross water and lots of it 200 to 300 yards no problem on a hot track we love huntin the beagles their small but nobody told them that hope you the best keep looking up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:43 am

In 1958-60 we had a pack of 3-7 beagles that were perfect for how we hunted. We usually had about 4 standers and 1 driver, sometimes just2 standers. We would pick a small patch of woods and drive it all day. The beagles hunted close enough to each other that they would get to the strike and pack up fast. All dogs would cold trail, jump and run. Once the dogs crossed the road, the driver started blowing the squealing horn and they would start dropping out of the race and be back to the driver in about as long as it took to have smoke. We killed a lot of deer in 25-200 acre plots with hardly any dogs getting out of pocket. This took place in red creek management area around the vestry community In south Mississippi.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:59 pm

Might add that we had no tracking collars, shock collars or radios. Hunted in white tee shirt with blue jeans, no shuch thing as real tree or any camo.. Maby a little army surplus green. We thought the rut was something you got stuck in when it was wet.my brother in law saw a nice buckfollowing a doe one evening with his head down and he shot and missed. Shot the second time and killed the deer, nice 8 point. He related how the buck never acted like he heard the first shot and the rifle bullet cut a sapling down right beside the deer. All the old sage deer hunter got their heads together and decided the buck must have been deaf or sick. We were actuall afraid to eat him. If I would have taken a grunt call to the woods and claimed a tree to call deer, nobody would had anything to do with me except maby my mother and she would have been extremely cautious. Deer hunting has really changed but I believe if you factored in the deer population now compared to then our kill raio would probably be just as good and a whole lot cheaper.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: RE: Re: Running Beagles for deer

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Return to “Other Hunting”