Montana sheep unit 501

A place to talk about Deer/Elk Hunting and any other BigGame or Small game hunting Without dogs.
OB.284
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Montana sheep unit 501

Postby OB.284 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Anybody have and info or tips on Montana's unlimited 501 sheep unit? Have a buddy that shot one couple years back in there Took two years to find them but for a guaranteed tag seems like a good experience at least. My brother bought a tag this year just searching for more advice on the area... tough country lots of bears few sheep any more info?
Thanks
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Montana sheep unit 501

Postby dhostetler » Mon May 19, 2014 7:23 pm

I shot a ram in Unit 500 last fall after 6 years of hunting it. These units of unlimited sheep tags, the hardest part is finding the legal rams. Some years in some of the units none get shot. In 6 years of hunting there have been 2 to 4 of us hunting out of my camp per year and in those 6 years we got 4 rams. If you want to go on a sheep hunt and aren't looking for a trophy ram and are willing to have a very low chance of success the unlimited areas are for you. You will meet some of the toughest most diehard sheep hunters in these unlimited units. A legal ram out of an unlimited unit is a trophy. I will be in Unit 500 again this fall to try to help my buddy that has been going with me the last several years get his ram.

Return to “Other Hunting”