elk hunters

A place to talk about Deer/Elk Hunting and any other BigGame or Small game hunting Without dogs.
got plott
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

elk hunters

Postby got plott » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:40 am

got a phone call yesterday that made me laugh. a buddy of mine that has never been hunting with me called an ask if I could bring a dog to help him track a elk. After I quit laughing an explaind the work that goes in to a dog to keep them from running trash said he was sorry for asking.told him its ok an the next time he finds a bear track to call an ill bring some dogs to show him how we hunt an the reason a dog must not track trash.
LBell
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: elk hunters

Postby LBell » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:23 pm

He wasn't hunting around manns creek was he? I have been asked the same for deer and elk and even though i am sure it's one thing they could catch it's always fun explaining why we don't. If it was manns creek pm me and i bet we have the same name :D . lance
250plot
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby 250plot » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:12 am

i was elk hunting up at manns creek this weekend saw 3 different hound hunters 1 was from california and the other 2 from idaho. got into some elk too. but saw 3 tracks would have loved to run my dogs on wish i could draw that tag. saw a lion track out there too.
LBell
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LBell » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:00 pm

This might blow up big time but i'll say it. Everyone knows or should know to run dogs in Idaho you have to draw one of 70 out of state hound permits, which is good for ONLY the holder of the permit!!!! not all his buddies, cousins and half retarded crew. I AM NOT AGAINST LEGAL OUT OF STATERS! but whole parties coming in and thinking they have special rights, 5 trucks and 50 dogs i am tired of! I have spoke with some and many feel this way, I have and I hope more do get the info and a few pics of the license plate dog box ect. and turn it into fish and game, call me a jerk but if they are legal they have nothing to fear and if not they are breaking a law and should get the penalty that comes with it. The more law breakers there are the easier it will be to build a case against us!

250 plott where are you abouts? I am interested in what plotts you have always looking to see whats around. Good luck on the elk. Lance Bell
250plot
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby 250plot » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:30 pm

i agree whit your comment to the fullest you get a tag or permit its for you and you only. that is why there is a draw on hound permits so not everyone from around can come and run there dogs when ever they want. i personally like having that dont get me wrong like LBell said i have nothing wrong with legal out of state hunters, just the ones that abuse it.
bchoundman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 1296843432

Postby bchoundman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:13 pm

I agree the law is the law. and can see your point. but whats "you and only you " mean if I had to run hounds by my self I couldn't do it. trying to get dogs out after the hunt would take me three trips back and forse to the truck. I guess it makes me really appreciate the lack of hound people up north ill run into 2-4 other hound guys in a whole year and usally its somebody I know. lol. It would really tick me off if a bunch of trucks and tons of dogs showed up on one tag. I normally run a single truck in the bear season my wife and I and a friend or two. no atvs or nothing a good hike to a tree keeps u in shape. and big bears we try to push across a road.
250plot
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby 250plot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:16 pm

i run 4 dogs by my self. i dont always hunt by my self but i do it from time to time. i always pull my own dogs out by my self. you and you only means unless you get a group hunt than probably be going by your self. i get the permit to hound hunt out of state than i should only have my dogs and no one else.
LBell
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LBell » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:13 pm

I am not a fish and game guy but have talked to a few and from the way it is explained to me is. If you draw you are able to hunt or pursue game with hounds, Hunting is defined in the Idaho big game regs. Simply put you run your dogs out of 1 rig with 1 hunter, so you have the tag the tracking equipment and gun/bow. you can have a helper/handler to help haul dogs out but they don't have tracking gear or a gun kinda deal. the problem rises when you have 2-5 out of state rigs loaded to the hilt on 1 permit thats not legal. There is also the problem of guys coming along and buying an out of state bear tag and going with the guy who drew also not legal. Again I am NOT idfg and it does vary from officer to officer a little but thats the jist of what i've been told.

BC i wish I could find a place where i'd only see 2 or 4 other rigs a year.

Return to “Other Hunting”