Mule ?

Talk about Horses and Mules.
lionsback
Facebook ID: 0

Mule ?

Postby lionsback » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:58 am

I just got a new mule, have had horses for a long time but pretty new to mule's. This mule is a 10 year old molly mule she seams to pretty level headed in most things, she is good catch good with her feet and ears. Her problem is when we are in the dark timber she gets nervous and wants to walk extremely fast and I hard time stopping her for very long. She has not done anything bad yet but her being nervous gets me a little on edge. Is there any thing that seems to work to calm them down? Will she get better when she learns to trust me. Or does she just alot of riding.
Benny G
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Mule ?

Postby Benny G » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:02 am

Mules are just different animals. Does she seem to be on the verge of running off, or just wanting to travel faster? Also, what type of a bit are you using?
"What I really need is a system that when I push a button it will shock that dog there, when I push this other button I can shock the other dog over there, and a button that I can push to shock all twenty dogs at the same time!" - Clell Lee

Benny
When in doubt, ask someone that knows, not just claims to know.
lionsback

Postby lionsback » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:12 am

She is not trying to take off. She acts like there is something hiding behind every rock and tree and just wont relax. She doesn't seem to act like this out in the open. I am using a 1" round port bit with about a 3" shank.
Benny G
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Benny G » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 am

At ten years old she should be settling down pretty good, if she has been ridden to ant extent all her life. However, every mule is different from the next. If you are concerned at all about being in control at all times, especially when she is acting boogered, I would suggest calling Max Harsha at Cliff, New Mexico and ordering a bit from him. I believe a bit will cost around $100.00. Max designed these bits himself just for mules. I don't ever get on one of my mules until I have a Harsha bit in their mouth. In my learning experiences with mules, I have found that a little extra insurance for the unexpected is well worth the time and money. Since mules are so much tougher than horses, if they have too much energy, they need a lot more, and consistent miles on them to be ridden down. When one of my mules acts up while I'm riding, I just saddle it the next day also. If there's any issues that day, we go the next. I have ridden a mule 5 days in a row in very rough country to take the edge off of them. There is always the possibility that your mule will never like the big timber, but the trust factor that you touched on is huge, and can only be built with time. Max's number is 575-535-4220
"What I really need is a system that when I push a button it will shock that dog there, when I push this other button I can shock the other dog over there, and a button that I can push to shock all twenty dogs at the same time!" - Clell Lee

Benny
When in doubt, ask someone that knows, not just claims to know.
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:27 pm

I've had the same problem with different mules even at ages older than yours. If I just had to guess, I'd say your mule has been riden in the wide open but not much in big timber. Or maybe he's had a bad experience in big timber. Mules are cautious by nature and they have a memory like an elephant. I had my mule step in an old stirrup someone dropped on a trail in the swamp one night and he thought he was in a bear trap. He jumped pretty hard and I unloaded right before we both went off the 20' creek bank. For several years after that he'd do fine in the woods until we got close to that very spot. When we did, he'd start walking fast, snorting and throwing his head down and side to side looking for that trap. To this day he still gets a little nervous in the woods at night. He's perfectly fine in the daytime.

Max Harsha has an outstanding reputation and he makes great bits, so the advice given is good advice. Personally, though, I just take it easy with mine and ease them through the places where the mule boogers hide over and over again until they start to trust me and the terrain. It's not a quick fix, but in the long run it's what works for me. Mules are not horses and you can't approach them with a horseman's mentality. JMO.
Larry Morgan
Morgan's Cajun Blue Gascons
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:45 am

Looking for boogers in dark places is a typical mule trait. They all do it to some extent. I agree with all the advice above. I'll add a few

Mules cant stand prosperity! If your graining or feeding him hot alfalfa stop. The more hot food they get the more boogers they look for. Straight grass of grass/alfalfa combo is ussually enough

Mules need full time jobs! Ride the sh!t out of them. The more the stand around the goofier they get. After mine have been out to pasture all summer they look for every booger they can. After 3-4 rides they are back to normal

Never feel sorry for a mule! just when you think you got them tired and worn down, they'll show you different.
Dads dogboy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dads dogboy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Big Mike,

You make a Mule sound much like my ex-wife!LOL

CJc
C. John Clay
diamondctv@aol.com
870-223-2063
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Machias » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:11 pm

One thing to keep in mind, mules generally takes much longer to trust you. She's probably not sure what your going to get her into and so she does not trust your judgement yet. Once she does she will settle down and put her faith in you, seen it many times with new mules in our mule club. Give her some time and don't hurt her and she'll go where you want and feel confident in you. I would go to a new bit right away, give her a little time.
Fred Moyer

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”