Greetings from Florida. Got a new mule!

Talk about Horses and Mules.
Joe Lane
Facebook ID: 0

Greetings from Florida. Got a new mule!

Postby Joe Lane » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Picked up a new mule, a 12yr old molly out of a Qh, with the intent to trian her to hunt off of. So far shes doing pretty good, just needs some tuning up/finishing. Doesnt mind loud noises, popped a cow whip around her and what not. Only thing that bothers me is the fact that shes not comfortable with being ridden bare back. I Rode her in a saddle the otherday and she was fine, then hoped on her bare back and she gave me a couple bucks, but i wasnt worried, figured she just hadnt been barebacked before. I rode her a couple more times bare back that day and she was fine. Well I went to hop on her today and she did the same thing, bucked twice and we went to riding. I walked her around the part of the property she was familiar and the we went exploring and somthing spooked her pretty good and she cut sideways and bolted, and threw me off ballance so i halted her and kinda slid off, calmed her down and went back up to a step for me to remount her and as soon as I got on she went to town bucking. Need less to say she got me off and nothing was hurt but my pride.. Well after that she wants nothing to do with being barebacked. Cant even step on step near her without her taking a step away from me, just outa reach. Im hoping she comes back around and we can work on it. Have any suggestions?
Black Mountain
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Greetings from Florida. Got a new mule!

Postby Black Mountain » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 am

Not sure why it is but I haven't seen very many mules that can be ridden bare back. I've been around alot of them that you would put your grandma on but could not ride them bare back????
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Put a couple of 15 mile circles on her and when you get back yank the saddle off and get on her bareback.. see if she is still willing to buck
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
mulehound
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mulehound » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:43 pm

I have been riding mules since 1980, only had one that you could ride bareback. I don't know why but most don't like it and that includes stone broke mules that Would do anything for me but no bareback.
Darrel.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Thats funny... I have been around lots of horses but only have been around 3 mules and 2 of them I have no problem riding bareback and the other I haven't rode bareback but have sat on her back while I scratched her butt..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Joe Lane

Postby Joe Lane » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Im thinking about working on it after i giver her a good workout, and after ive spent more time with her and on her under a saddle. Its not really a big issue but itd be nice to be able to hop on without cinchin a saddle everytime. You guys have any tips on how to make them better on the trail, especially in new surroundings? My molly likes to stop and look at everything, Is it somthing they do? Or can you train them to think while they walk?
Thanks for all the replys!
Black Mountain
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Black Mountain » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:40 am

I'm no expert but have had horses all my life and mules for quite a while now...........one thing you may want to consider, if you keep attempting to ride her bare back and she keeps putting you in the gravel, she may carry that over in her mind and start throwing you off when you have a saddle on her also. JMO
Joe Lane

Postby Joe Lane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:16 am

Well I think I found out what the change was... shes in heat

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”