Concrete

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
thunder 12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Concrete

Postby thunder 12 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Is there any cons to this how many of u guys have it and how do u like it as flooring in your kennels
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Concrete

Postby FullCryHounds » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:39 pm

I used concrete for years. You'll end up with sores on your dogs legs and after a year or so, you'll be wondering why your dogs feet aren't conditioned like they used to be. I hate concrete for kennels. But I also hate kennels for dog. Too many reasons to list again, check out some old threads.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
box rocker
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby box rocker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:37 pm

I second that. It isn't worth a shit. It also makes a dog loose his arch in his foot. Have seen good dog go to shit because the new owner put them on slab floor kennals.
runnin akita
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby runnin akita » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:59 pm

I am a concrete guy by trade so it was chaep and easy for me to do. Pros: Its easy to clean and hose out I even put a drain in mine. I keep a dog house in mine with old rags in it so they have soft place to lay down to prevent sores on there legs and I try and run my dog at least once every 2 weeks. witch helps tuffen up there pads. Cons: Have to clean more often there is no place for piss and shit to soak into the ground.also in the summer it will bake in there and stink but still lots easer then getting stink out of dirt. For u that dont like it I would try and put gravel on top it might make the difference you are looking for. Good luck
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:53 am

If a dog lives on concrete, he can have some real problems. One of them is not worms. If a dog is hunted and exercised it will not be living on concrete no matter where it sleeps. Dewey
thunder 12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby thunder 12 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:40 am

So it seems like a bad idea lol thank u all for the replies
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby mike martell » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 am

You got it Dewey!

My dogs are on concrete where I live and always will be.....I have two play areas fenced in. One is 50 by 100 feet and the other is about one acre+...I don't bother using the exercise area in the fall,winter and spring. only four summer months do I use this area.Once the dogs are put up it is a no brainer where I live since we have fleas, parasites like hook worms suck the life out of a dog. I also keep cedar bedding in my kennel box to keep the fleas away. Here in Oregon it rains all winter as you fully know since you were raised right here.....Lol

I can't haul enough gravel in to fill the sink holes and unless you live here, you have no idea how unsanitary your dog area can become.....I keep a gallon of bleach on hand at all times and pour a dab in my water buckets to kill the fast growing bacteria and pour it on the kennel floor and do a through rinse....Half my kennel has a metal roof that offers shade in the summer time and I simply put a tarp over the other half to deflect water. it is a constant strugle to keep the dogs dry, warm and comfortable....

I have every type set up on my property and have experimented over the years I have been hunting and find these methods work for where I reside...

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”