Winter Truck Box

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
NMHoundsman
Location: Northwestern Lower Michigan / Eastern Upper Peninsula
Facebook ID: 0

Winter Truck Box

Postby NMHoundsman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Has anybody ever built a winter box to be used running coyotes that runs from bed rail to bed rail so that you can still load a snowmobile in the back of the truck? If so do you have pictures?

I'm in search of some ideas. Thanks
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Winter Truck Box

Postby Nolte » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:20 pm

I used to have one on my full size truck before I sold it. Lots of guys around here have them. You can haul a sled like a tundra forwards or backwards. It's just tough to fish dogs out of the box when it's forward unless you put the doors on the side vs the back. It all depends if lifting them up to your shoulders gets old.

This is a box that Klein telemetry used to have. Not sure if they still have them or not.
BE_4.jpg
BE_4.jpg (23.15 KiB) Viewed 5326 times
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 am

Nolte, how deep is that box? (From the cab towards the tailgate) I'm thinking about building one like that, but two compartments on top and large dog compartment under it, so I can still pull a gooseneck trailer, thanks
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:00 pm

I don't know on that one. I built one that was 24 deep and had 2 compartments up top that you could fit 2 dogs in. A buddy built one that was 30 deep with 3 doors. You can fit 2 in the outside and 1 in the middle slot. It sort of depends on what you are going to skin it with. Roll stock aluminum is 24" wide from the luberyard but you can order other stuff that is wider. If you're just sealing the wood it doesn't matter. If you want diamond plate, go with the thinnest you can find otherwise it will weigh a ton. Granted the heavier stuff will last forever but you'll have fun mounting it. It just depends on what you want to go with.
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:25 pm

I can haul six dogs in this set-up not inc. the snow machine.
106_0668.JPG

106_0669.JPG
Ker_man
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Ker_man » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Mr Mondo that's an interesting model are the doors rubber or wood?
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Everything is made of treated plywood, 2 x 2 frame. It's close to 15 yrs old and as good as new. Never sits outside though...

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”