Dodge Dakota dog box ideas

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
HuntVA540
Facebook ID: 0

Dodge Dakota dog box ideas

Postby HuntVA540 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:16 am

Need ideas for a dog box for a crew cab Dodge Dakota. Otr or slide in.
Irish Jack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Dodge Dakota dog box ideas

Postby Irish Jack » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:45 am

Dog boxes and hound hunting are different things to different people. With that said maybe you can give some insight to how the box will be used (hunting style) Some load their dogs, drive to the hunting area 10 miles away get out of the truck and start hunting.
Others travel 300-400 miles and are on the road for a week, and in addition use the4 box as a tool of the chase, (following the race and spiking dogs in the race).
In all cases its my opinion that the comfort of the dog should be the first priority if they are to perform at their highest level and not be stressed .

Jack
HuntVA540

Postby HuntVA540 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:40 am

I load dogs and drive to a hunting spot or drive the local mountains to find a track. But all is done in my local area.
Bearhunter247
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100001680361536

Postby Bearhunter247 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:57 am

Hey man just being nosy. Your username has 540 you from around Bedford? And I'd definitely suggest some way to transport water if you hunt in the warmer months. Nice to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
tater
Irish Jack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Irish Jack » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:34 am

"Otr or slide in."

When I started traveling across the country in the early 90's it seemed most of the noted hunters were running an (over the rail) style box a lot of them in a short box truck or a Toyota, I will try to give plus and minus of what I've seen.

Depending on how many hounds you need to fit in the box, the over the rail will allow a couple extra (ahead and behind the wheel well
The boxes they were using were constructed of 1" tubing with the frame work going down and around the wheel wells and connecting to the back where your doors are. The reason I mention this is, unless the box is bolted down there is a chance of pinched toes when bouncing across rough ground .
The other thing I have seen is with an over the rail box is that if the opening on the side is big enough for them to get there head out it puts them in jeopardy of catching a rock in the eye coming off your tires, and brush.
With a box that slides in I find it easier to load a box that is full length of the truck box...easier to slide out and stand on end. Another plus is you have that space behind the cab and wheel well for leads ,pop water bowls ect.
As for the divider down the middle....if you are running game and pitching dogs into the race or spiking at crossing's, the dogs in the box need to hear and see across from both sides of the box, I use hog panel and used the portion with the smaller squares. Point being that a dog listening to the race should be able to get his bearings on the race and get going the right direction if you dump the box, this will cut down on pups running up the road half a mile when they finally get a chance. Also the back 20" of my box is cattle panel or the lrge squares from hog panel, this allows dogs to be snapped to hold back for whatever reason.
The doors for me need to be full size for the compartment, no over hang, it's been my experience many of the injuries are from dogs squeezing out of the box catching their flank and coming of the end gate off balance and putting strain on their ankle.
The last thing I will mention is the top of the box, you can tell what height suites your dogs but they need to stand up comfortably all day, as for the material I like plywood for a number of reasons, first is that if you have to locate your truck with your tracking collar (maybe you walked in and someone moved your truck round for you.....or your race is heading toward your truck, you can tell if your partner is ahead or be hind. I hunt with someone with such a dog box (Metal Roof) and it gets my blood pressure up every now and then. The other reason is if you hunt every day a person gets tired of hearing antennas scraping on the roof.
Probably more info than you wanted good luck

Jack

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”