Hello from south texas

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
STX-Hunter
Facebook ID: 0

Hello from south texas

Postby STX-Hunter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Hello everone,
I live in south Texas, just north of the Rio Grande Valley. I have had hog dogs(yellow black mouth curs) my whole life, quail dogs (english pointers) for the past 4 years and now have a couple of coon dogs(black and tan and a running walker) that I hunt with my boys who are 5 and 6. I would really like to get into bobcat hunting but cant afford a finished dog to start pups with right now so may have to wait on that. Figured I would introduce myself and say hello.
Ryan
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Hello from south texas

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 pm

I'm new on here too. A hog hunter for 30 years myself. Have you tried any of the pointers on hogs? Can you post pics and tell us a little about your dogs, style and looks, etc.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:37 am

Welcome. It’s awesome that you can hunt with your boys. What do they like the best; quail hunting or coon hunting? I have never lived where there were enough quail to hunt but I think it would be great fun.

If you have places to hunt holding bobcats, you could sure go to teaching yourself how to trap them for the fun of it. Catch and release. You would learn a ton about your cats and would be moving in the right direction towards having a cat dog. Some of the soft catch traps are amazing and I think hold better than steel jaws.

This is the best design I’ve seen for a bobcat cage trap: (either to buy or copy and build).
https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com ... OBCAT.html

Your boys might really get a kick out of trapping their first bobcat. I know I sure did.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:04 pm

I'd echo what David said and I've found it's easier to trap a cat than catch one with the dogs. Course sometimes both seem impossible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
STX-Hunter
Facebook ID: 0

Postby STX-Hunter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:25 pm

I never have tried my pointers on hogs. I've heard they are very catchy and I prefer to hunt with 2-3 bay dogs and shoot hogs instead of catching with a pitbull and tying or stabbing the pig. I do guide a few hog hunts every year and I will use a friends of mine pitbull on those trips just because I don't want anyone else shooting over my dogs.

At this stage in the game my boys prefer coon hunting. That may change once they are big enough to carry a shotgun though. Good thing is you can coon hunt here all year long as long as you don't mind putting up with some hot nights.

I have been looking into trapping cats and probably will try some once it cools off a little this winter. It is still very hot and humid right now, even in the mornings, and I am afraid if the cats were to get worked up in a trap they might die before I could check them.

A guy I have been cat hunting with a couple of times has given me a young started running walker and a finished dog that over heats in a longer summertime race. I already have the younger dog and she shows promise and I think when I get the older dog I will be able to hunt them together this winter and hopefully get her going better. I am excited to see how it goes.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”