New here

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
dbljr1967

New here

Postby dbljr1967 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:40 am

I live and hunt in Suffolk, Va but I mostly hunt just across the line in Gates, NC. My family has had hounds as long as I can remember and then some. I have a picture of my great-great grandfather taken around the 1880s or 1890s blowing his horn amongst his hounds and fellow hunters on horseback. This is still a center of activity for hunting deer with dogs, although we do hunt bear with dogs a good deal now too. My main interest in this site is to locate folks that have what I would consider the closest thing you can get to true Goodman, July and Trigg fox/deer hounds. We had some good Triggs and Goodmans when I was a boy and I procured a couple of Julys when I was old enough to have my own pack. Alas I have not owned a hound since 1994, but I still deer hunt with dogs every week here. Just looking for information on the current status of the aforementioned fox/deer/coyote hounds in hopes of potentially procuring some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: New here

Postby perk » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:12 pm

Welcome... Always nice to have someone here from the land where deer can be run with hounds as they should be!
Not many Goodmans or breeders left. Not a ton of triggs or trigg breeders left. The majority of the July's I've seen in past 20 years were suited for 3 hour speed and drives, not hunting outside, alot of speed and not alot of nose. Of course those are just my opinions.
My main question is what traits are you looking for, or expecting in these breeds of hounds that aren't available in the hounds you deer hunt around now?
Happy hunting and welcome aboard,
Perk
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
dbljr1967

Postby dbljr1967 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:11 am

I tried to reply yesterday but I can’t see it. What I’d like to have is dogs that hunt and jump well and stay on the track. Fast is cool but finding a deer and staying with it are my primary wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:02 pm

Gotcha, I don't think you need to specifically go away from the walker breed to do that at all, I'd just look to avoid anything that has ever been pen hunted, ever, bred to be pen hunted or field trialed, or people call fox/deer dogs. Certainly there are deer hunters somewhere down in that neck of the world with dogs that just been bred to strike trail jump and run deer like he needs to be. Normally asking around you will find someone who breeds like that if you ask enough guys. Or look to buy a few pups from some the outside fox/cat hunters in the area, not all of them are infatuated with speed, some still breed for dogs that produce game. Good luck finding what your looking for. Heard there is a club somewhere in south east Va that only deer hunts triggs, not sure the name or the location just know it's south east of me in the state.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:45 am

Welcome to the site!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”