Hello from Oklahoma!

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
Barrow Boy
Facebook ID: 0

Hello from Oklahoma!

Postby Barrow Boy » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:16 am

Headed to Iowa soon, I hope. I wish I were rich enough to live in states with legal cougar and black bear seasons. America's West is now the land of the rich. Idaho used to be an affordable Wild West sportsman's paradise until the Left Coast came in and jacked up housing prices to the moon. This flat cornbelt part of the country is not, generally speaking, for serious predator hunting with hounds. I'm not even sure if Missouri to the south of Iowa still allows dog deer drives. Too far east for bear and cougar. Flat cornbelt. From Iowa's point of view, which states would be the nearest ones to offer legal predator hunting (bear, cougar, wolf) by hounds?

South Dakota? Wyoming? Colorado? Nebraska? Minnensota? Michigan?

Tornado Alley is chielfy whitetail/feathered game/small furbearer country.

The only thing I can think of in Iowa might be coyote and perhaps bobcat. The nearest black bear or cougar hunting states, I can't say. Here from the point of view of Oklahoma, cougar is an unregulated pest down in Texas. Iowa has varmints, fox included, whitetail deer and feathered game including dove. No mule deer, no elk, no moose, no goat, no sheep.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”