A Message from Dan Cockayne...

Magnet

A Message from Dan Cockayne...

Postby Magnet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Lion Committee News 4/18/2012

The UHA has decided to press forward with the community meetings, we will help organize and plan the meetings and will continue with the follow-up after the meetings. Thanks to Jason Adamson and all who helped get this ball rolling, you have made a difference to the sport we all love. This does not mean that any of us can take our foot off of the gas pedal. We need everybody involved in helping to make this a success statewide. If you have been to a meeting please let everybody you know, who didn’t attend, how important this is and encourage them to attend the next meeting. If you need help getting the next meeting set up let me know. Lions@utahhound.com or 801-420-1547. The lion committee will be the clearing house for scheduling and follow-up of these meetings. I can’t do this alone, if you would like to help with this committee, the bear committee or the field trial committee please let me know and we will put you to work. The UHA is the “Houndsmen’s Voice” but the members have to be the backbone, we need your help.
On 4/17/2012 we traveled to Vernal for another community meeting that was attended by 31 houndsmen. They also are concerned about the rapid decline in the lion population in their area. They are committed to a male only harvest in their area also. At this meeting a very good point was discussed that I had not really considered. Information was shared about a lion study that is being conducted in Colorado, the lions are fitted with tracking collars, if a female has kittens, they are also collared. In this particular study area it is legal to take a collared lion. During the study at least three females were harvested by hunters. Each one of these females had kittens that were not old enough to survive on their own. A lion kitten depends on its mother for its care even after it has stopped nursing. When we take a female we are very likely orphaning kittens who are not old enough to survive on their own.
Special thanks to Hal Mecham and Larry Massey for sharing your wisdom and also Bruce Horrocks for your insight and also for allowing us to use your facility for this meeting.
The hunting log book is just about ready to go to the printer, look for that in the near future. Next community meeting is Tremonton on April 25th 7:30 at the Riding Club.

Return to “Utah”