Cat in a trap questions

A Place to discuss Trapping
jasonrinebold
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Cat in a trap questions

Postby jasonrinebold » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:33 am

I talked to a guy where I hunt who has had a cat get in a double coil #2 on the cats first lunge from the catch the swivel broke and the cat is gone with the trap only. no chain nothing. I tried my dogs on it but it was atleast 24 hours old and pouring rain. So my questions how far do you think this cat could go? it is steep, brushy, rocky country and is there any chance this cat could get the trap off and servive this? Also will he keep moving around? If so we have fresh snow today I may try and cut his track it should be pretty easy to tell!!!!
Jason Rinebold
Bungalow Outfitters
Jason.rinebold@yahoo.com
208-310-6501
Marshall
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Cat in a trap questions

Postby Marshall » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:19 pm

I have heard of this happening before and from what i understand is that they usually dont get the trap off. Also my friends from the south tell me that usually when they catch up to the cat it most likely will not climb, so be ready for that.
fox hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby fox hunter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:50 pm

good luck jason sounds like your going to have a battle if the cat is caught buy the toes they will freeze off but if he is cuffed it is not good for his chancesof a full recovery but you never know ive caugt fox and coyote coon and even a bear that were three legged and all were healthy
carlisle
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby carlisle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm

I have caught one with the trap and chain still on and it was in pretty poor shape the hunter wanted him which was good cause I dont think it would have made it through the winter anyway so we called the fish and game who came out to to witness the kill and make sure we werent trapping lions... also caught one a couple weeks ago with no front foot at all that wasnt in great shape but wasnt looking like death either...both went up trees and seemed to be able to travel alright but not as effective at killing bigger game i would say
jasonrinebold
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby jasonrinebold » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:37 pm

This is a averaged size bobcat. I don't why I didn't put that in the first post! I've been back there about every day this week and haven't been able to cut his track.
Jason Rinebold
Bungalow Outfitters
Jason.rinebold@yahoo.com
208-310-6501
007pennpal
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Location: Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Indiana, Ohio, BC

Postby 007pennpal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 am

I'd just be walking expanding gps circles around that spot with my hounds over the next few days. If it doesn't get caught up he'll likely get eaten, starve or chew out.
Sean
Sgt. Michael's Kennel
Lead The Way
503-510-2910
seancmichael@aol.com

Return to “Trapping”