American Foxhound confusion

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

American Foxhound confusion

Postby JonBailey64 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:05 pm

The American Kennel Club recognizes 'American Foxhound' as an official dog breed.

A little research on line has revealed that:

-Treeing Walker
-Running Walker
-Trigg
-July

...are all sub-flavors of the so-called "American Foxhound".

For many years I thought there was just one true "American Foxhound" as invented by George Washington.

I thought the Walker type hounds baying at bears and lions up trees was an entirely separate breed.

Since I have wounded deer, coyotes and red foxes in mind, I probably need something of a Running Walker.

I think all these tricolor slim-n-leggy American Foxhound variants very handsome with a cute beagle-like face.

How hard is it to find tricolor "Running Walker" puppies especially in the Western States as Idaho which are pedigreed (papered)?

Why are American breeders of hunting hounds most commonly registering their stock through UKC instead of AKC?
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: American Foxhound confusion

Postby perk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:01 pm

Think you have some misinformation about foxhounds, especially American foxhounds. Treeing Walker is not a subset of the America. Foxhound, it was created from American foxhounds but has long been recognized as ita own breed.with it's own breed standards.
George Washington definitely wasnt the creator of the American foxhound. As the breed was created at least a century after Washington, even though yes he was a fox hunter, but not with any strains of the American foxhound (Walker, trigg, birdsong, sugar loaf, wild goose, penmarydel, July, henry, hudspeth, bywater, Goodman's, or Calhoun. To name the most popular lines in last 150 years most of which no longer exist as a strain) mostly today you have the ability to easily find in America a Walker, trigg, July, and more difficultly the Goodman.
The American fox hound are registered usually in the IFSB or SFSB, not AKC. Most akc registered American foxhounds are purely show hounds, not bred for hunting but to look at and meet breed standards, and there are hunters all over the east coast and south east who use them to pursue foxes in enclosures, and some of us who run fox and bobcat in the wild with packs not allowing deer chases, not just deer hunters over here, in the north east and midwest alot of men use them to run coyotes in the wild.
May be tougher to get one in Idaho, but the foxhound is the state dog in Virginia.

What's your hunting history and background with foxhounds? Because I believe the internet has greatly misinformed you
Perk
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JonBailey64 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:50 pm

Last edited by JonBailey64 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:35 pm

No not an exclusive club for purebred dogs, agian the 2 main registries are neither akc or ukc. But the IFSB (international foxhound stud book) which is held and controlled by the company that owns Chase magazine, and SFSB (standard foxhound stud book) which is owned and operated by the company that does The Hunters Horn magazine.

AKC has fewer registered dogs, and 99.9% are gonna be show hounds, not working dogs.
EGO is not your AMIGO
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Go to speeddogs.net or masterfox.net and click on classifieds link and will see pages and pages of ads for dogs that are already running and puppies for sale from breeders. Most of all them can be registered unless the add says grade dog. Just to get am idea of the amount and easy access to this breed
EGO is not your AMIGO
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:59 am

My advice for you would be to try and find someone hunting fox or bobcat close to you and see if they will take you out a time or two so you can see how it works. Haven't heard of anybody specializing on Red Fox in ID only grey fox and bobcats, not to mention there are plenty of bear and lion hunters in that state. Not saying you couldn't as I do not live there and dont know, but I am sure someone who does could chime in about that.

The next thing I noticed is you would like them to trail blood too, that could cause problems because one of the most important things you do with your hounds is break them off deer, but there might be people doing both I have just not heard or seen it, but it might be a little contradictory to each other, you might need dogs for hunting and a separate blood tracking dog. Just a thought regardless good luck and have fun.
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JonBailey64 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:13 am

JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JonBailey64 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:21 pm

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:56 pm

perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Grade is not a derogatory term, just means it cannot be registered in a registry, bc it is either of a mixed background or out of hounds who werent papered. Papers are only a document that tells a hounds ancestors. And are often false anyways due to human greed, I'd 1 person falsified papers on a dog, then every dog to ever have that dog in its ancestry has an inaccurate pedigree to some extend. That goes with all breeds, and all registries.
Saying a grade dog isnt quality is about as false a statement at times that can be made, usually made by people who dont know or are the snobbish ones who need name brand not generic brand groceries.
I have some dogs that can be registered and never have because I dont need a paper, and I have alot of grade dogs, and have been breeding them for years and some are of the opinion they are quality.
EGO is not your AMIGO
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JonBailey64 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:29 pm

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 am

Jon Bailey, I doubt anybody can tell you how to come up with what you want or need. You are like every body that has a notion about some type dog hunting. No one on here knows what you want but you, and you will know what you want and works for you when you see it. There is no short cut. You can get a lot of bad advice on here and everywhere else concerning dog that you need to do whatever. Get what you think you need and go to the woods, you can talk to people and try to get advice till hell freezes over and still not have anything . Reading these comments is a fun thing to do but it will not train a dog for you. Training is up to you. Stay in the woods as much as you can and you will recognize what you want when it happens, and it will happen but will most likely not be what you were expecting. Good luck
mrburneisen
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

leashed dog

Postby mrburneisen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Jon Bailey,

From reading what you are interested in, and what you have experience with I would get a Labrador Retriever and train him for deer tracking. He will be a fantastic family pet, live to please you, and on the occasion you need him to track a wounded deer, he will take the track and not rip your arm out of its socket on the trail. I'm not sure of the Laws in Idaho, but in Western NC you are only permitted to track a wounded deer with a dog on a leash. With that in mind you will want a dog that can aid you in finding the deer, not a dog to track the first hot deer track he comes across and try to catch the deer himself. I had labradors growing up and they had decent noses and lived to make me happy. I am a novice houndsmen, but an expert deer tracker and what the dog can do is help you, not do it for you. It's your job to make sure you are on the same deer you shot, not a doe that wandered through the area after you left to get your dog. All dogs will want to run the fresher track if given the choice, but your labrador will want to make you happy and will be easier for you to train. With your dog on a leash you will use him as a tool to help you find the deer you shot instead of spending all day trying to catch a hound who is busy chasing live deer all over the mountain. If you have your heart set on a hound remember those negative behaviours you saw in the beagle were only because he wanted to hunt. The escaping, baying all night, and chewing stuff up was because he was bored and wanted to hunt. If you had taken that beagle for a 2 mile jog every night he would have been too tired to escape and bay all night. I have talked to folks that keep hounds for pets and pay cross country runners to exercise their dogs for them when they can not do it themselves.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”