Re: What age and why?

Postby 35possums » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:32 pm

Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:09 am

Trying this again, I tried twice yesterday and it wouldn’t post.

In response to lawdog’s post.
I feel ya. Back when, I had no problem walkin the hog dogs around. But those were just small 20 to 1,000 acre ranches. Now, if mine take a line, I usually just take the easiest route and try to judge where they’re headed, so I catch up when they get there. It’s much more enjoyable to ride my hay burners than hiking around. especially if I knock somethin out of a tree. Besides I hike too much at work as it is ha ha.
I sure do enjoy training pups though. Maybe as my pack gets better and I build my kennels up right, I’ll start selling a dog or two each year to pay for their feed.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:02 pm

My puppies are currently being born , the wife and kid are sending me pics as they arrive. 2 males and a female so far.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:39 pm

That makes you a pawpaw. Pretty fitting name for a dog man lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:38 pm

:lol: 6 pups born 1 of which was still born. I already can't wait to take them to the woods :D
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:24 pm

So my 9 month old was in and out of a 19.5 mile race with my older dog for about half of it. Made some smaller river crossings but didn't swim the big river with the old dog. Any special ways to get her used to swimming other than just taking to a lake or river and trying to play in the water?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:58 pm

I always take pups to the water on leash and walk in and out , walk them in until the waters just about deep enough to swim and just stand and hangout ill praise them a bit . Not sure what your running but if its a option a coon on a float should do it.
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:04 pm

I run bear but the float idea is very interesting. I'm sure I could get something on there they want bad enough to go get it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:07 am

Old guy I know thats been of dogs a long time told me that he use to tie a coon off a bridge over a strong current to keep his dogs in shape when it was hot out. He would hang it just above the water so the dogs would swim right under it as long as they could. The northwest houndsmen association here in montana uses a live coon on a float for their water races and its way better than the dummy with a coon hide over we use at ours.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:48 pm

For the original question, at what age and why....I begin to carry mine when they look to be big enough to follow along behind the big dogs and not get too lost. No specific reason why, just how I've always done it. Time of year and running I'm having or if I'm hunting close to home or hours away also plays a role in when I start carrying a pup, like to start them close to home til I get a good hunting handle on them.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”