Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Rowdy Fitz
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:56 pm

How’s everyone been? I’ve been working too much. 10 days on, 4 days off for most of the summer so far. Took the mutts out for a little exercise this am. Caught a coon in some tules. First one I’ve caught since I started exercising on the refuge. It was a nursing sow, I called the dogs off after they had a little fun. I think they’re out of season, so she got to live.
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:58 pm

Treed today on the last day I could go in our training season. Pretty darn fun to watch my dog do it start to finish. I have one young dog tuned right in trailing and running up front. The other young dog still needs a lot of work but is miles ahead of where she started this season not even going with the dogs on a jumped track. Have a tag this year so excited to maybe finally kill one with my dogs in on it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:54 pm

That’s awesome man! When will your season start and end?
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:01 pm

8 or 10 days right in the middle of Sept. Not exactly sure on all the dates.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:49 pm

Oh okay, sounds hot… I’m hoping next year the wife will draw a bear tag here in NV and we’ll get to run them.
Beebout-it
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:32 am

Miserable hot here in montana, Saturday is the first day of archery season calling for 100+ degrees. I'm way ready for some snow!! Only had the potlickers out once about 2 weeks ago for some exercise. Dumped them out about 10pm, still almost 80 degrees. About 15 minutes in started a hot track and left the county. Hiked into the last 2 at 6am when they finally just couldn't go anymore. Covered around 15 miles through 2 camp grounds around 1am :lol: had a kid with that works with me not sure if he was ready to stay out all night after we had both been up since 4am that day.
Rowdy Fitz
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:36 pm

Ha ha ha dang, that sounds like my outfit!
Rowdy Fitz
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:47 pm

I left at 1:20 this morning and got home at around 11:00. Covered about 125 miles and found one old tom track. My huntin rig needs some rear suspension love. It sits 3” lower than I want loaded with dogs, I need to trim fenders to clear tires, add an air compressor so I can air down the tires for hunting, install a radio, install more charging ports for collars and finish the dog box.
Beebout-it
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:31 pm

Well at least its just a short list! Haha I've got a similar one, shocks,new tires, front bumper, a winch so on and so forth lol.
Rowdy Fitz
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:40 pm

Lol I’ve always got a new list of truck problems. I want to put a winch on it too. I get the harbor freight 12,000 pound winches because they’re local and I can just get them replaced.
Beebout-it
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:26 pm

I rode a mule for the first time in my life yesterday, I'm not a horseman at all but have riden a few times in the mountains. I like the mule more than the horses I believe but the old boy was out of shape and on the way out decided he wasn't packing my fat ass another step! Lol I would get down and leed him he would rub his head on me being my buddy. But when I'd stop to get back on he would let me get my foot in the stirrup then start off at a fast pace before I could get a ounce of weight on him :lol: I couldn't blame him a bit ,it was already 80 degrees at 8am . We slept out under the stars and it was 31 degrees and I was covered in front at 430am when I talked myself into getting out of the way to under insulated sleeping bag I had brought. We saw a few deer 1 small buck ,a cow moose and 2 coyote pups. My buddy who owns the stock said he was disappointed in the trip and, I smiled and asked how in the hell being out in the mountains could be disappointing? It was our first time in this mountain range and I guess he expected their to be elk and giant mule deer bucks behind every tree.
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:16 pm

Bebout-it, mules will try to get away with about whatever you let them get away with. I was riding mules before I could walk pretty much lol. My dads nickname and radio handle was Mule or the Mule, he worked in the lead mines here in southern Missouri as a welder and heavy equipment mechanic the guys in mines gave him the handle. He was a houndsman but his main passion was mules, he built wagons for himself and others. He broke mules to ride and work, horses to. He worked the kinks out other people's stock and was a part time horse shoer and made mule shoes.
I wish Missouri would of had big game to to hunt with dogs and off mules when he was alive, everyone that knew him said he was born in the wrong time period. We squirrel and coon hunted even deer hunted with hounds off mules and horses when I was a kid. It was rare to for someone to see a bear in Missouri up until recent times in his time people thought you were crazy if you seen a bear or a lion. Our Bear population is growing this fall will be our second limited draw season no dogs or bait yet and it's starting to be pretty common for people to catch pictures of lions on game cams I myself have been lucky enough to see 2 lions while traveling at night in Missouri. I hunted hogs for almost 20 years off mules with dogs he would have loved it. Hogs in Missouri were as scarce as bears and lions when he was alive the Government allowed people to kill off the majority of the range hogs in the 1970s the range was closed in the late 1960s and the government also killed and trapped them.
We caught a few bobcats when I was a kid but cats here tend run with hounds running them until they either bay up on the ground or more often then not go to ground or where you can't get in holes in bluffs people always talked bad of bobcats because of it here. No one hunted them unless it was by accident and its still that way in Missouri for the most part there's a few bobcat dog hunters but not many. Everyone I've ever caught or treed has been by accident or at least not on purpose unless I saw it cross the road and dumped dogs on it. I've actually treed more than anybody I know in our area but curs tend to slip up on them and they have no where to go but up if they can make it to a tree.
My dad was an apprentice wheel right he had a friend that was into draft horses the was a wheel right they restored a bunch a bunch of wagons for different historical places in Missouri one being Grants Farm in St. Louis. Idk if I can or how to post pictures on here but I would if I could just of some of the mules and what not.
My grandpa, great grandpa and uncle on my moms side were both horse and mule men also. My great grandpa raised fox trotting horses as a hobby. He was a logger and cord wood cutter by trade, his father in law (my great great grandpa) was a logger and tie hacker by trade, later in life he owned a small service station. Broadfoot's book Pioneers of Ozarks my great great grandpa is in it there's a hound in the yard of his service station. But they all had hounds or beagles at one time or another was typical for Ozark families. They also usually logged using teams of mules or horses to skid. I reckon I've rambled long enough for today :lol:
lawdawgharris
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:02 pm

That’s a really neat story. Cool that you know your ancestry so well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:29 pm

Thanks Lawdawg once when I was a kid my dad was cutting weeds with a team of mules and a mckormick mowing machine he had he also used it to cut hay but anyway the neighbor kids from up the road told him if he wanted their dad would probably let him borrow a his tractor and bush hog he sure got a kick out of it he was just doing it because he enjoyed working the mules but the neighbor kids didn't understand lol
Beebout-it
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:34 am

Man what i wouldn't give to go back in time before all this technology. To a time when if you had nothing to offer the world you just didn't make it. Hell at this point I'd give my left leg to go back to the time there were only 2 genders :lol: I really wish I had grown up around horses and mules but at this point in life I don't have the time , and probably after having my neck completely rebuilt I have no business on stock at all. Really enjoyed your story!

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”