Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:07 pm

Still snowing, bored found this video from 2 seasons ago thought I'd share it...https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KmewFpin ... 2KjB4oSJEQ
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:11 pm

Heck of an animal! Getting him unstuck was probably a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:33 pm

It wasn't to terribly difficult getting him out but boy oh boy he absolutely did appreciate it,bluff charged countless times.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:48 pm

That’s cool, I agree it’s right place right time.

My mutts are the same way, they hear me start up the truck and they start barking. The longer it’s been since they’ve hunted the worse they bark.
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:53 pm

For what it's worth (not much) our country isn't too rough but I've found I don't need to put anything on their feet. I will start roading small distances on a gravel road about 2 months before season. If I start slow and work up I never have a problem whether I'm putting stuff on their feet or not.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:03 pm

That makes sense. I don’t really have the luxury of having a safe gravel road to do that so you’re lucky if you do. Or country is shrinking by the day. Tons of traffic and houses everywhere where it use to be big country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:05 pm

I have lots of semi safe gravel roads but lack the time leading up to the end of deer season. I will have to watch out for the razor retards and kids from Cali bashing on the truck dady bought them, trying to be prerunners. But during the week there’s very few. I hoped to get my kennels built by this winter, but that’s looking like a pipe dream.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:58 pm

Saw something pretty damn cool today, definitely a first!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3J6vZ-eCBg&feature=share&utm_source=EJGixIgBCJiu2KjB4oSJEQ
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:01 pm

Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:34 pm

Day 5 of our season today, having some great luck so far! Had a long race today....211 yards and I drove 120 yards closer to the first tree, then she bailed and I got this video. https://youtube.com/shorts/sWyHZslXklw?feature=share
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:52 pm

That’s awesome, congrats! Always really cool to have a short race and get yo watch it.

I went out two nights ago, hunted all night and until noon. Put a bunch of miles on but had no luck. I think I found where one’s at, but the snow had melted off enough the tracks were all just divots and then it started snowing around midnight when I finally got in there. Yesterday morning I put out on a bobcat track but the snow melted off too fast. The dogs only got 1/4 mile or so when the clouds broke around 9:00.

I put up a video on YouTube also, of the road I was on. It’s hard to tell how rough it is, but I came close to rolling my truck a couple times due to ruts. There was a flash flood on that mountain range this year. The county just finished fixing the main road last week or so.

https://youtu.be/OkFT6rNp4ZM
Hollowpoint
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Hollowpoint » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:18 pm

There's a couple of real sketchy sections in that road Rowdy
I walk with Jagd's
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:04 pm

Yes sir, there were and I pulled an all nighter that night. Probably shouldn’t have been on that road lol.

I went out again on Friday, to another mountain range. Cut a good track right after daylight. Put the dogs on it and let them work. I went up ahead and 3/4 mile up the road found where it crossed again. Tried putting some pups on it but they wouldn’t try it. I went back and got my older dogs. They took it about 2 miles until they lost it on a western slope where the snow was melting off. They’re doing better than last week but still not as good as my dog that died earlier this year. They’re starting to work together though which makes me happy.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:52 pm

Had an absolute shit show of a day! Rolled out a bit later than usual, found a lion track before I even left the asphalt. Turned out about an hour after light and the wind was blowing everything closed. Pups were struggling and 2 mule deer jumped in front of them and it was more than they could resist. Old dogs kept pecking till they got it warmed up and going. I collected the youngsters and headed to the dogs treed 120 yards off the next road. Take the pups in to reiterate what we are supposed to be chasing and the young female bales out running closer to the truck. Treed again and about 2 minutes after I get to the tree she goes again, but looses her footing and hits the ground in the dogs. I raced in to break it up and next thing I know she has both front sets of claws buried in my leg and is biting my shin/calf! Then I fall over backwards while she is mauling my boot. My buddy fired 2 shots from his 10mm in the air and she managed to grab a near by tree. Got very lucky with only minor punctures and only 1 staple in my oldest female. My buddy had 1 young male that needed stitches in his neck but luckily his wife is our vet!!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:06 am

Son of a gun Bee, glad you’re okay! Hell of a day but that’s a darn good story!

I’ve been struggling with these pups. Been trailing lions every time I go out but dogs aren’t sealing the deal. I think they might be having trouble locating since they don’t have much experience. I’m gonna start walking to every lose just incase they’re treed and don’t know it. I made the mistake of passing up a tom track this week because the dogs couldn’t trail it. I talked with a buddy who used to hunt here and now I realize I should have waited another half hour until the sun got on it. Been hunting snow just trying to get these dogs some experience and get them ready for the spring when the snow is gone.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”