Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Beebout-it » Sat May 20, 2023 6:44 pm

Had some ups and downs this morning, collared up dogs on my way up the first drainage, as soon as I passed the last house...well only house I dropped the boys to throw 2 up on the rack even though they don't really rig. Put dude and july up and finn started picking around on the edge of the road, had a buddy thats never been out with dogs before so I was explaining what was going on and what I thought was happening, then I said the stupidest thing that it was my absolute most trusted dog in the dirt and then he opened so I dumped 3 other males and the race was on...2 minutes later they have a skunk bayed up just getting absolutely covered in it!! Ok first 5 minutes he thinks I'm an idiot :lol: I figured I'd road them the rest of the way in to air out a bit, same dog starts picking away again about a half mile up and the other dogs joined in. It was slow going for about 45 minutes and I kept joking they'd have another skunk in a minute, just then they turned up the speed and volume and headed in deep made a big swing at around 4 miles out and steadily were coming towards us across the drainage, ended up treeing a nice boar 500 yards from the truck, always amazing that with a face full of skunk juice that can still smell other things...can't be to mad at um though :lol: https://youtu.be/dXh_KBnmN_U
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat May 20, 2023 6:55 pm

Lol damn that’s a rough start to a day, but congrats on the bear! I thought you were going to say they caught another skunk lol.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat May 27, 2023 10:54 am

I had a rough day last Sunday. I had an accident at work that caused me to black out so I had to take the rest of my shift off. Spent that morning in the hospital then headed home around 1:30 or so. I’m all good and it was a freak thing so I shouldn’t have any more issues. It’s a 3 hour drive home and right about the half way mark, I had a lady pull out in front of me. That totaled out my diesel truck. So this last week I took it easy and started doin a little work on my hunting truck. I’m having to drive it to work now. I took the mud tires off and put the smaller street tires back on, cleaned all the coats, my huntin pack, the blankets for the kids, extra clothes for the kids, etc. Then I tore into the engine and replaced the valve stem seals. That was a pretty big pain in the rear. It was almost worth pulling the heads instead of doing it how I did it just because it probably would have taken the same amount of time but been less frustrating lol. But now it shouldn’t burn any more oil. It would burn between a quarter and half a quarter per tank of gas lol. But anyways, it’s been either too hot or raining so I have been using that as an excuse for not hunting. Thursday and Friday should be better next week so I’ll try to hunt both days.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat May 27, 2023 3:52 pm

Dang you’ve been snake bit. Good luck on the hunts next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat May 27, 2023 6:48 pm

Yes sir, it was a poor day at best. Hopefully that’s the last of it though. Hope to get a replacement truck soon. I’ll get the old lady’s F-250 and she’ll get the “new” truck.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon May 29, 2023 1:22 pm

Wow thats rough rowdy glad your good! Had a hell of a weekend with my buddy in Idaho, ran 9 different bears and never got 1 stopped, blew up a four wheeler, broke a cv axle, bust a drive line on another :lol: rained a bunch. But we had a great time.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon May 29, 2023 9:11 pm

Thank you Joe, it was one of those times I don’t care to repeat!

You had a hell of a time then! Sounds like you’re as tough on your equipment as I am lol.
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nufo » Wed May 31, 2023 12:03 am

Rowdy, glad to hear your ok. Hope your able to get back to normal soon.

Joe, sounds like fun either way. What part of Idaho where you in?
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed May 31, 2023 12:37 am

Mike- thank you, I’m physically back to normal. But my poor truck looks like it has an uncle-dad now. It’s face is smeared 3” to the driver’s side lol.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:03 pm

I went hunting yesterday and couldn’t find a single damned lion track. It’s been raining a lot in the afternoons and washed out all tracks. I did find 6 or 7 bear tracks, the biggest pile of bear scat I’ve ever seen and saw a cinnamon bear I thought was a horse from half a mile away. Gonna hunt different country now. No point in putting the dogs in a position to run those nasty things.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:44 am

Turn um loose rowdy...7 birds in the hand and you went home without a race!? :lol: we don't have to worry much about our dogs switching from a cat to a bear up here like u do.
Our last field trial starts today been raining pretty much non stop since yesterday, curious to see how many people come out to slop around in the mud.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:49 pm

I’m really torn, the bears are significantly easier to come by and have a denser population than lions do. But I don’t want to get the dogs all ruined from running those stinky things. But I know they’d get more experience trailing because I know I could find more bears. It’s not exactly legal to train on bears outside of bear season and without a tag, either.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:23 am

Holy crap this site has gone to hell. All it is, is people trying to sell their culls anymore.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:44 pm

Yep you’re right. Everyone is on FB or some other social media site. I’m not gonna get that stuff just so I can talk hunting dogs to people. I’ll just visit with my little circle and be out of touch. That social media stuff is a huge contributing heavily to all the issues in our country now. It’s done more to separate than it had to bring people together. It will be a huge contributor in the loss of our hunting privileges as well as our civil rights. I could rant all day about how opposed I am to it and why but I just mind my business and do what I feel is right for me and mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:23 pm

Agreed, sometimes I wonder if there's no one looking at this site but there are plenty of people that only post to sell puppies, or make room for pups. I chased a bear from noon till 5pm yesterday and got whipped the entire race was a jumped race, I had hiked the dogs into a roadless area 1.25 miles when I got 400 yards from the truck on the way back all hell broke loose. That thing would run them in deep...and I'd hike my ass all the way in then it would loop back damn near to the truck, this went on for 5 hours and I'm whooped as hell today! :lol: Hey lapdog, haven't heard much from you for a while how ya been, hunting much?

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”